There is nothing more comforting than a big bowl of a warm and hearty stew on a cold winter day. Perhaps we would normally associate a stew with meat, but our Vegan Mexican Stew is a plant-based option that carries all the flavour without having to use any meat. It’s all about building flavours, using aromatics and good seasoning.
Our Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste is a brilliant ingredient to add to your soups or stews; it not only adds a kick to your meals but it is also packed with loads of flavour in itself.
We cannot recommend enough always having a jar of Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste in your kitchen cupboard. It will become your favourite cooking ingredient! Whether you use it to add a kick to a dressing, depth of flavour for sauces or soups, or as a rub for meat or vegetables before roasting, it’s always a good idea to add a bit of Gran Luchito Mexican magic.
Now back to this delicious vegan stew, try using lentils, chickpeas, beans or vegan sausages to make your stew more substantial, adapt the recipe to what you may have in your fridge and pantry.
The same goes for vegetables: courgette, aubergine, sweet potatoes, swede, butternut squash, etc. Just make sure to use a good amount and variety of veggies to bring even more taste and texture to your stew.
This Spicy Vegan Stew is a meal all own its own but a handful of Gran Luchito Lightly Salted Tortilla Chips would go nicely on the side to use for dunking purposes! Mexican food works well as a vegan option because many vegan Mexican recipes are full of fresh veggies, zesty flavour and spices.
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 58 fat 1.4g saturates 0.4g carbs 9.5g sugars 2.6g fibre 1.5g protein 1.9g salt 0.44g
How to make it
- Heat the oil over medium heat into a large saucepan and fry the onion, shallot and garlic until translucent. Stir continuously to avoid it from burning.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and red pepper into the pan, then stir and cook this for a couple of minutes. Add the and tomato paste, throw in the bay leaf, and a few sprigs of thyme. Stir and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Now add the mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, , the tamari sauce, sugar and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium heat with a lid on, for 40 to 45 minutes until your vegetables are cooked through.
- At the end, pour in the cooked chickpeas and simmer for a further 6 minutes. Taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve your vegan stew warm in a bowl with a spoonful or two of steamed white rice and a dollop of creme fraiche.
What To Serve With Vegan Mexican Stew
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
Comments / Questions / Tips
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.