Here is our take on what has become one of the most popular fast foods out there in recent times. For this chicken burrito recipe, we’ve slow-cooked the chicken until it’s tender enough to pull apart. This can be done either in a slow cooker or in a regular casserole dish over the hob. The remaining cooking liquid is reduced and then combined with the shredded meat for extra succulent meat.
Our Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste works really well in a chicken burrito or any burritos! It gives them a subtle smoky spice that you’ll be wanting again and again.
Check out our Burrito Recipes collection for more burrito inspiration!
1 hrs, 10 mins
2hrs, 30 mins
3hrs, 40 mins
How to make it
- Before anything else, get the chicken marinating. Put the chicken in a freezer bag or airtight plastic box and add the lime juice, Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste, chorizo, olive oil, red onion, garlic, coriander stalks and ale. Give it a good massage, then seal and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- While the chicken is marinating, get cracking on the other elements of the burrito (guacamole, pico de gallo and rice).
- Once the chicken is ready to use, place it in the slow cooker or in a large casserole dish, add the chopped tomatoes and season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Pop a lid on and cook on a very low heat for a couple of hours until the chicken is falling apart.
- Transfer the meat to a bowl, using a slotted spoon. Place the remaining cooking juices into a saucepan on a high heat and boil for about 15 to 25 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken with a couple of forks, discarding the bones. Pour the reduced sauce onto the shredded meat and mix with a spoon.
- Warm the Gran Luchito Burrito Wraps in a pan, and place two wraps overlapping each other (see pictures). Add a spoonful of rice, then the delicious chicken meat, top with guacamole and pico de gallo, wrap tight and cut in half, enjoy! Repeat the same process with the rest of the wraps.
Chefs Tip – The chicken can be marinated and cooked earlier in the day, or the day before if needs be.
What To Serve With Burritos
If you are wondering what to serve with this chicken burrito recipe, why not go for some:
If you are going all out, you could use some of the chicken and make some of these too:
More About Burritos
Our How To Make Burritos blog will help you to master everything you need to know about making homemade Burritos. And our Burrito Recipes is our collection of tried and tested Burrito recipes with more flavours, protein and veggie options. For more ideas on side dishes, check out What To Serve With Burritos for further inspiration.
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
How many calories in a chicken burrito?
If you have all of the trimmings inside, salsa, cheese, rice/beans, chicken, guacamole, wraps, maybe a bit of sour cream, a typical burrito can easily be 1,000 calories. One way to cut the calories down is to have a burrito bowl instead, without the wrap (300 calories each).
How to cook chicken for burritos?
For this recipe, we have slow-cooked the chicken for a couple of hours until it can be shredded. This can be done either in a slow cooker (with chopped tomatoes) or in a pan (with lid) on the hob. You could, however, also grill the chicken and then tear it up. It won't be as tender, but hey, it's still a chicken burrito!
What's inside a chicken burrito?
Chicken and other ingredients such as rice, cooked beans (either whole or refried), vegetables such as lettuce and tomatoes, cheese, and condiments such as salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole, or crema.