Bacon Taco Shell With Scrambled Egg
Weave yourself a bacon taco shell, glaze it with our smoky chipotle honey and fill it with spicy scrambled eggs. This recipe makes one, but it’s definitely something you could share (that’s a lotta bacon!)…or not. The sweet chilli honey works very well with the salty bacon and the spring onion means it’s not completely sinful.
This would also work well filled with more traditional tacos fillings like avocado, shredded chicken or some lovely grilled peppers.
Carefully create a woven grid with the baconBegin to cook the bacon in the grid
Cut around a bowl or plate to make a perfect circleUse the bars of the oven to make a fold in the bacon taco shell
Glaze the inside with Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Honey
Whisk eggsMelt butter and add Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
Add spring onionsFill bacon taco shell with scrambled egg
Bacon Taco Shell With Scrambled Egg Recipe
- Begin by making your taco shell. It's a bit fiddly but well worth the effort.
- Pre-heat the broiler on your oven.
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Lay nine rashers of bacon vertically so they are side by side.
- Lay the first horizontal rasher at the top of the vertical bacon and weave it in and out on alternate pieces (see pics).
- For the remaining horizontal pieces, it's easiest to fold the vertical pieces up over the rashers you've already woven/weaved? before placing the next one down and alternating whether you pull the vertical ones down or not. (A bit confusing, but take a look at the pics and see how you get on).
- The most important thing is to make sure the weave is tight and there are no gaps.
- You'll end up with a grid, 9x9. Place it under the broiler until it starts to cook (about 5 mins).
- Carefully flip the grid and return it to the grill.
- Transfer the grid to a chopping board (it will be a bit smaller as the bacon will shrink as it cooks).
- Use a bowl or small plate which goes as close to the edges as possible and cut around it with a sharp knife, leaving a perfect woven bacon circle (You can save the trimmings for something from our bacon recipes).
- Place this back under the broiler and get it crisping up on both sides.
- Switch the oven on to about 400F.
- With the tray underneath to catch any drips, hang the meaty disc over the bars in the oven to create a fold in the middle.
- Cook it like this for about 5-10 mins, but don't let it burn.
- Brush the Gran Luchito Smoked Chipotle Honey on the inside of the bacon taco shell.
- Now you can start making your scrambled eggs.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan over a low/medium heat. Add the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste and stir into the butter.
- Whisk the eggs and add them to the pan. Leave them to begin cooking without stirring them too much (keep the heat nice and low so they don't overcook).
- Add slices of scallion.
- Every now-and-again, use a spatular to fold the eggs until they're just under how you want them to finish. Remove from heat and leave to finish cooking with the residual heat from the pan.
- Fill the bacon taco shell with the egg and serve.