These Cheese Empanadas are made with sweet potato and brie, and are easy to make using pre-made shortcrust pastry sheets. They are full of flavour and spice, and a total crowd-pleaser!
Our Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste and Gran Luchito Chipotle Honey can be your best friends while you’re cooking up that special meal for your family and add a bit of Mexican magic to the day. The Chipotle Honey is used to caramelise a red pepper and onion mixture, and this flavoursome concoction is then mixed with the roasted mashed sweet potato and cheese. A final spoonful of Chipotle Paste is added for an extra kick!
Pastry circles are filled with this tasty mixture and a piece of brie is pushed into the filling and then sealed by pressing the edges. Once they are baked the cheese will melt inside, and combined with the delicious sweet potato and chipotle it’s a match made in heaven.
These tasty Cheese Empanadas can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the freezer, just place them on a tray that fits into your freezer and cover it with cling film, and make sure they are thawed completely before adding a little coating of egg wash on the outside and baking them in the oven until golden.
Being so versatile, you can either pair them as a side dish with anything from a Mexican Salad, Pulled Pork Burrito Bowl, or Mexican Chicken Soup. Alternatively, have them as a snack or starter to your main course. They are great while you wait for your Mexican Roast Chicken or Lamb Barbacoa!
Ideal forParty Food
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 298 fat 21g saturates 9.4g carbs 19.9g sugars 1.9g fibre 2.1g protein 7.9g salt 0.8g
How to make it
- Preheat the oven at 180C / 350F.
- Place your whole sweet potato (with skin) in a small baking dish and roast in the oven until soft, about 20 min.
- In the meantime, heat up the oil in a frying pan, and add the butter, fry the onion and garlic gently until softened. Add the red pepper and fry for a minute or two, then pour in the Chipotle Honey and let it bubble in the mixture briefly, season with salt and pepper, remove from the heat.
- Remove your sweet potato from the oven and let it cool down, then peel off the skin with your hand and mash roughly. Add the mash into the red pepper onion mixture and the Chipotle Paste, season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground coarse pepper, integrate everything with a spoon and reserve.
- Add a bit of flour over your kitchen counter, place your pastry sheets over and stretch them slightly with a rolling pin. Then with a biscuit cutter (10cm / 4 inch diameter) or a pint glass, cut circles to make your empanadas, you can make them bite-sized or bigger to be served as a snack.
- Place spoonful of sweet potato and chipotle filling into the center of your pastry circle with a piece of brie, brush edges with the egg wash (egg and milk whisked together) and seal your empanadas, press the edges together and then pinch them to form the nice braiding on the edge (see pictures for reference), or you can just finish the edges by marking them lightly with a fork.
- Repeat the same process with the rest of the filling and pastry circles. Place your empanadas over a lined tray and brush with more egg wash, bake in the oven until golden 20-25 minutes approx. Enjoy!