Barbacoa is a dish that is loved all over Mexico. Traditionally it’s made with lamb or beef that is cooked in a hole in the ground, lined with rocks and filled with wood to make a fire. Once the fire is ready, the meat is placed on top (inside a pot, with chillies, garlic, onion and covered with maguey leaves for extra flavour). The hole is then covered with soil and the meat is cooked for hours until it’s very tender.
It’s traditional to prepare this dish for special occasions as a whole lamb can be cooked using this method, and therefore can feed a large crowd.
Our lamb barbacoa recipe is a modern version that can be fully prepared and roasted in the oven.
Make sure to wrap tight your oven dish to retain the moisture and end up with tender and juicy meat. It’s also very important to coat the lamb with our Gran Luchito Chipotle Honey glaze at the last minute – it will turn the outside of your lamb into a rich and glorious brown meat.
We like to serve this lamb barbacoa on a large platter in the middle of the table so everyone can make their tacos just as they would like. A big bowl of Mexican Chipotle Rice and some Frijoles make for the perfect accompaniments.
4 hrs, 30 mins
4 hrs, 50 mins
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 153 fat 7.8g saturates 2.2g carbs 10.7g sugars 3.3g fibre 0.4g protein 9.2g salt 0.32g
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 320°F. Begin by preparing the chilli mixture for your lamb. In a food processor add the pomegranate molasses, garlic cloves, Chipotle Honey, olive oil, Chipotle Paste, lemon thyme, black peppercorns and a pinch of salt. Whizz everything up into a lovely mixture.
- In a large baking dish place the red onions and shallots. Season the lamb with a good amount of sea salt and black pepper and place it over the onions. Cover the lamb with the chipotle chilli mixture, making sure it’s coated evenly.
- Pour in the stout at the bottom of the baking dish and cover tightly with a few layers of tin foil. Place it in the middle of your oven for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours remove the baking dish from the oven, turn your leg around and baste your meat with the liquid at the bottom. Cover it tightly again and bake in the oven for another 2 hours.
- Once done, remove the foil and the meat should be tender and juicy. Place the rest of the in the microwave for a few seconds (to make it runny) and with a pastry brush coat the surface of the lamb. The lamb is then finished off in the oven at 200°C / 390°F for a further 30 minutes. This glazes the surface of your meat nicely.
- In the meantime, combine the red onion, coriander and mint in a small bowl, and then reserve.
- Serve your piece of lamb on a nice platter in the middle of the table, with some of the onions and meat juices. You can reduce some of the baking dish juices in a small pan to serve alongside your meat.
- Cut slices of the lamb and serve with the juices and warm . Add a bit of the red onion and herb mix, a squeeze of lime juice, and enjoy!
Download Our Free Guide To Tacos
Your free Taco guide will be emailed to you immediately. Serve your lamb barbacoa tacos with sides of: Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.
What To Serve With Lamb Barbacoa Tacos
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
Comments / Questions / Tips
Serve your lamb barbacoa tacos with sides of:
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.