When we first travelled to Mexico we were really surprised by the abundance of fish in the markets and on the menus. When you consider the length of Mexico’s coast, not very surprising, but prior to that, fish was not something we had really associated with Mexican food.
How wrong we were!
Typically the kind of fish dishes you might find in Mexico include ceviche, sea food and tuna tostadas, but on our return home we thought we’d try and give the classic fish pie a little lift with some Mexican magic.
Using haddock, cod, salmon and prawns as our protein, we made this delicious Mexican fish pie recipe by adding our take on a chipotle paste to the sauce.
To make it extra special, try popping a little of our Mexican Chilli Mayo into the mashed potato topping!
Gran Luchito Mexican Fish Pie
- 2¼lb Potatoes (something good for mashing like Maris Piper)
- ¾oz Butter
- Splash of milk
- 1tbsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo
- Handful grated cheddar
- A few sprigs of chive
- Salt & pepper
- 3½oz Each of smoked haddock, salmon, cod & king prawns
- 5 Scallions
- 1oz Butter
- 1¾ Cup Full-fat milk
- 1oz All purpose flour
- ½ Carrot (finely sliced)
- 3½oz Frozen peas
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- Salt & pepper
- Handful chopped fresh parsley
- Firstly, cook the potatoes. Peel and slice them into similar sized chunks. Fill a large saucepan with cold water and add a good pinch of salt. Throw in the potatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer until a knife slides in easily before draining.
- Whilst still hot, add the butter, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo, milk, chopped chives, salt & pepper. Mash well until all lumps are gone. Once this is ready, leave until the filling is ready.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400F.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the butter, flour, scallions and fry for about 3-4 minutes, stirring well. Add the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste and sliced carrot and cook for another 6-7 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the milk bit by bit, whisking as you do so.
- Once all milk has been added, bring slowly to a simmer whilst continuing to whisk. It will gradually begin to thicken. After about 4-5 minutes, remove from the heat and add the fish (sliced into evenly sized chunks), carrot, frozen peas, parsley, half of the cheddar cheese salt & pepper.
- Mix well and pour into a large oven-proof casserole dish.
- Carefully top the fish mixture with the mashed potato using a spatula. Add tiny knobs of butter all over the top of the potato and sprinkle the remaining cheese all over.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins, or until golden on top (take care not to burn it). If you want the cheese crispy, following this, pop it under the grill for a few minutes.
- Serve with a nice salad.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon