It was when travelling to Mexico City for the second time that my cousin May introduced me to the pure pleasure that are Tuna Tostadas. This snack is served in Mexican bars in much the same manner that chicken wings are served in America. However, I’m pretty sure that this recipe is healthier then deep fried wings and tastier!
Tuna Tostadas are good news.
The crispy corn tortillas might be a little tricky to track down (try Amazon or your local Mexican grocery store) but don’t try and substitute them with something else. Size is everything here and the bigger the corn tortilla the better. This is definitely a case where persistence will pay off.
These Mexican tuna tostadas are so simple to make. Simply spread the corn tortillas with our Gran Luchito Chipotle Mayo, top em with tuna marinated in lime juice & soy, sprinkle with crispy deep-fried leeks and plenty of lime & coriander.
It’s fusion food and it’s seriously amazing!
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 181 fat 13g saturates 2g carbs 7.5g sugars 0.9g fibre 1.2g protein 8.6g salt 1.1g
How to make it
- Cut the leeks into thin strips about 7cm / 2 ¾ inch in length. Add them to a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, drain and squeeze out any excess water. Spread the leeks out on kitchen paper to dry as much as possible (you can even put them in a warm oven… the drier they are, the crispier they’ll end up).
- Carefully heat the olive oil in a pan or wok and add the leeks in batches. Use a slotted spoon to move them around and fry until beginning to turn golden (don’t worry that some remain green). Drain on kitchen paper. They should be nice and crispy.
- Slice the tuna into slabs about 5mm / ¼ inch thick, working across the grain.
- Mix the soy sauce and three-quarters of the lime juice and lay the tuna slices in it, mixing it a little so all the surfaces are covered. Leave for 5 minutes, then drain (you could add the juice to a soup or stock).
- Put the corn tortillas in the oven on its lowest setting and bake for 10 minutes until nice and crisp.
- Place the Gran Luchito Chipotle Mayo in a bowl and stir in the remaining lime juice. Top each tortilla with some crispy leeks, avocado chunks, tuna ceviche, a drizzle of Gran Luchito Chipotle Mayo, some chopped coriander, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a wedge of lime.
What To Serve With Tuna Tostadas
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
Comments / Questions / Tips
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.