Uses Chipotle Mayo
Mexican Chicken Pie
When we mentioned we were cooking a Mexican chicken pie to the Gran Luchito team they were all pretty excited. Merely mentioning Pie brought back childhood memories, a portion of pie served on a winter’s evening alongside some carrots.
One of the keys to any pie is the pastry and for something a little different we’ve gone with filo pastry. You could also try shortcrust or puff pastry or really mix it up with chicken pot pie with dauphinoise potatoes on top.
To give this chicken pie recipe a Mexican twist, we spiced up the creamy white sauce with some of our Chipotle Paste and threw in some lovely chunky chorizo for good measure.
Well worth a try on a weekend or midweek.
If you like the look of this, you’re going to love our spicy creole chicken casserole with herby dumplings.
1 hour 15 mins
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, Gas 6).
- Heat the butter and a slug of the olive oil in a pan over a high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes until it takes on a little colour.
- Lower the heat to low and add the leeks, carrots, garlic, chorizo, thyme and tarragon along with the chipotle paste. Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the white wine, stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the stock, cream and cornflour paste. Stir continuously until it simmers and begins to thicken. This should take about 10–15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and spoon into an ovenproof dish.
- Cut the filo pastry sheets to the approximate size of your dish. Add a layer at a time, with the meat in between, creating texture by scrunching up the filo.
- Brush each sheet with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of pepper before adding the next. You’ll want about 10 layers in total. Finish with a brush of olive oil, pepper and a generous sprinkle of salt.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden on top, taking care not to burn it.