Having vegan options available is becoming more and more important these days. Whether you are vegetarian or vegan, or simply like to switch things up sometimes and have meat-free days, these Vegan Nachos are for you. When it comes to making nachos it’s all about building up layers of flavour, and as long as you introduce the following elements, we can guarantee that they will turn out amazing!
Always start with good quality Lightly Salted Tortilla Chips, and a protein or main flavour (roasted peppers, frijoles, refried beans, or roasted butternut squash as seen here). Then choose a good vegan cheese (have fun trying out different types), and something spicy (Gran Luchito Salsas or Fire Roasted Serranos are perfect here). Finally, something to cool down the spiciness (vegan sour cream or vegan creme fraiche) and always a fresh element to finish (herbs, avocado, tomatoes).
Mexican food adapts very well to vegan or vegetarian cooking, as a lot of Mexican recipes are mainly plant-based. You can find things like cactus salad, and a lot of meals with vegetables such as stuffed poblano peppers, as well as fresh herbs, beans, rice and let’s not forget tortillas!
For another meat-free nachos recipe check out our Vegetarian Nachos!
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/392°F. Then begin by peeling, removing the seeds and slicing your butternut squash (as seen in the photos). Place your squash on a baking tray, season with Garlic & Guajillo Fajita and Taco Mix, drizzle with rapeseed oil and add a pinch of salt, bake in the oven for 20 minutes approx.
- In a pan add half a pack of your chipotle Refried Beans and ½ cup of water, simmer on a low temperature.
- Remove your butternut squash from the oven and reserve.
- In a baking dish add a layer of Lightly Salted Tortilla Chips and add half of the roasted butternut squash on top, with a spoon add half of the refried beans as if they were a sauce drizzled on top and half of the vegan cheese scattered on top.
- Repeat the same process until you have two layers of ingredients in the baking dish. Add dollops of vegan creme fraiche over the surface, finely sliced red onion and the remaining cheese. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or so, until the cheese is melted.
- In the meantime, prepare your nacho garnishes. Slice the jalapeño, cut slices of avocado and roughly chop fresh coriander.
- Remove your nacho bake dish from the oven and add the garnishes on top, add dollops of Tomatillo Salsa, serve and enjoy!