If you have never tried a molletes recipe before we want to show you how to make this amazing Mexican toastie in the comfort of your own home and with a little help from Gran Luchito Refried Beans.
Molletes Mexicanos mainly consist of crusty bread topped with refried beans and grated cheese. They are then placed under the grill or in the oven until the cheese melts and is lovely and gooey, normally served with a simple fresh salsa such as pico de gallo.
We love molletes because they’re a full and nutritious meal for your family that also happens to be super easy to make. It’s like the Mexican version of beans on toast.
We hope you’ll fall in love with them too and by using our Gran Luchito Refried Beans you can put this together in no time for a quick breakfast, lunch or snack. Not too sure what refried beans are? Check out our blog What Are Refried Beans.
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 193 fat 12g saturates 6.8g carbs 14.4g sugars 2.1g fibre 0.8g protein 5.6g salt 0.77g
How to make it
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 390°F. Place the into a small saucepan and add a splash of water. Cover them with a lid and warm them up over a low heat until they start bubbling away.
- Cut thick slices of sourdough bread and spread the butter on top. Place your buttered slices over a lined baking tray and add a spoonful of warm refried beans on top, then spread them over with the back of a spoon.
- Add the grated cheese on top and place your tray in the oven for 10 minutes, until the cheese melts and your sourdough gets nicely toasted.
- In the meantime, prepare a quick pico de gallo by adding into a small bowl the cherry tomatoes, the red onion, , lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix everything with a spoon and set aside.
- When ready, remove your molletes from the oven and serve hot with the fresh pico de gallo on top. Add a spoonful of creme fraiche and the coriander scattered on top, enjoy!
What To Serve With Mexican Molletes
Serve these classic Mexican Molletes with these sides for the most epic brunch!
Download Our Free Guide To Mexican BreakfastYour free guide will be emailed to you immediately.
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
Comments / Questions / Tips
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.