Even though most of the best black pudding dishes are from Scotland, this easy black pudding recipe is more authentically Mexican than you might think. Offal and blood sausage is widely eaten in Mexico. Their version of a black pudding recipe is called Moronga. So when we were challenged to come up with some recipe ideas using underappreciated cuts of meat, we made a special request for a black pudding recipe. We knew it’d make a great Mexican breakfast!
If you’ve never tried it, a black pudding breakfast is a great way to start the day. Especially when it’s all crispy and served with toasted fresh bread and perfectly runny eggs! The only thing that can make that better is a little bit of our smoky Gran Luchito Chipotle Mayo. Now you’re talking!
For this black pudding breakfast recipe, we have layered the toasted bread with our Chipotle Mayo, followed by black pudding, and finally topped with a perfectly cooked egg. Very similar to our Avocado Toast breakfast recipe, instead replacing the avocado with black pudding! Its also super quick, so can easily be whipped up for a weekday brunch.
Did you know?
Black pudding is made of pork blood, a bit of fat and oats or barley. It’s a great source of protein, low carb, and high in zinc and iron. It’s been described as a “superfood” because of these nutritional qualities. You can enjoy it cold, as it comes, boiled, fried, grilled, heated up in the oven, alone, with eggs or with scallops.
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 264 fat 17g saturates 5g carbs 17.5g sugars 1.1g fibre 0.3g protein 7.6g salt 1.4g
How to make it
- Get a frying pan onto a medium / high heat and add a little olive oil.
- Remove casing from the black pudding and crumble into a frying pan. Allow to crisp up before stirring around.
- When happy with the texture, remove from the heat. It should take about 7 or 8 mins.
- Get a saucepan of water boiling. Add the eggs and boil for between 5-6 minutes for soft boiled, runny yolks.
- Drain the eggs and run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Carefully peel the shell.
- Toast the bread and spread over a little Chipotle Mayo.
- Sprinkle over the crispy black pudding and top with an egg.
- Season and enjoy!
Download Our Free Guide To Mexican BreakfastYour free guide will be emailed to you immediately.
What To Serve With Black Pudding Breakfast
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.