Have you ever had Molletes? They’re a beloved Mexican open toastie normally enjoyed as “almuerzo” or “brunch” in English. In our version of Mushroom Mollettes we have used pieces of crusty bread smeared with refried black beans in the form of our delicious Cantina Beans that are then covered with cheese and melted under the grill. They are then topped with delicious buttery girolle mushrooms with our Smoky Chipotle Fajita and Taco Mix. These are traditionally served with a fresh pico de Gallo but we have taken it up a notch and included a spicy crema made using our Fire Roasted Serrano Chillies.
This is perfect for a late breakfast on the weekend, a lunch or even as a comforting quick dinner. Try serving our Mushroom Molletes with some Mexican Baked Eggs or Chilaquiles for a delicious brunch.
If this recipe is your kind of thing, then definitely check out our Chipotle Queso Fundido recipe. It has melty cheese and chorizo scooped up with our Lightly Salted Tortilla Chips and we think it’s totally irresistible!
breakfast or lunch
How to make it
- Begin by making your refried black beans. In a frying pan heat up the rapeseed oil and add the diced white onion, fry slowly until translucent, then pour in a pack of Gran Luchito Cantina Beans, season with the Smoky Chipotle Fajita and Taco Mix and add the orange juice, stir and combine all the ingredients with a wooden spoon and let it simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Mash your beans in the pan with a potato masher, they don’t need to be super smooth. Once your beans get a thicker more spreadable consistency remove your pan from the heat and add a bit of freshly chopped coriander and reserve.
- To make your Fire Roasted Serrano Chilli crema combine in a bowl, the creme fraiche, Serrano Chillies and coriander (finely chopped), olive oil and a pinch of salt, integrate all the ingredients with a spoon and keep it chilled until ready to serve.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C . To make the base for your Molletes, cut your baguette into two parts lengthways and then in half in order to get four open pieces of bread.
- Spread the butter over them and add a drizzle of rapeseed oil, place over a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and spread the beans generously over your toasted pieces of baguettes, add the grated cheese on top and distribute evenly. Place your tray back into the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, (about 7 min).
- In the meantime add the butter to a frying pan and cook your girolle mushrooms briefly. Season with the Smoky Chipotle Fajita and Taco Mix, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper, then set aside .
- Take your Molletes out of the oven and serve warm, with dollops of serrano chilli crema on top, and your girolle mushrooms. Enjoy with a freshly brewed cup of coffee!