Mexican Rice With Chipotle
When it comes to Mexican food, in addition to beans and tortillas, red rice as it is known in Mexico is a staple of everyday meals. The beauty of this restaurant style Mexican Rice recipe is not only how delicious it is, but also how easy it is to prepare, and that it goes well with almost any meal. This makes it one of the most cooked Mexican side dishes. In our cooking video Gran Luchito head chef, Susy V, shows you step-by-step how easy it is to make authentic and delicious Mexican rice.
Tips To Make The Perfect Rice:
Now rice is very easy to make but there are a few rules you have to always follow in order to get perfect rice, and that is:
- Always wash your rice before cooking. Place it in a fine mesh sieve under the tap and wash until the water under it runs clear. This means you wash away some of the starch and it helps to avoid your rice from sticking and getting mushy whilst it’s cooking.
- Rice and cooking liquid ratio is always 1:2, so if you are cooking 1 cup of rice you make sure you cook your rice with 2 cups of water, stock or any liquid.
- Never stir the rice while it is cooking otherwise it will become mushy, simply let it cook by adding the liquid, covering your pot with a lid and letting it simmer on a low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
Now with that said, for this recipe there may be a slight variation as the amount of liquid you add might change depending on how big your roasted tomatoes are and how much roasted tomato puree you get. Bearing that in mind, you need to add the remaining liquid you need in order to achieve the 1:2 ratio. This can be in the form of chicken or vegetable stock. Here is our recipe!
How to make it
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/392°F.
- Place tomatoes, garlic clove, and onion into a small baking dish, add a drizzle of olive oil, and pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once your vegetables are roasted, take them out of the oven and place them into the blender, add the Chipotle Paste and blend until smooth. You should have 1 cup of puree.
- In the meantime prepare basmati rice, place it in a fine mesh sieve, wash under the kitchen tap with cold water until the water runs clear, then let it dry.
- In a deep saucepan add a drizzle of olive oil, add the rice and diced carrots into your pot, fry them lightly for a minute or two.
- Now add the Chipotle tomato puree. Stir and pour in chicken stock, season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir once to make sure the liquid is distributed evenly, and add a bay leaf and cover your pot with a lid.
- Simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes or so. Add the frozen peas 5 minutes before your rice is ready (without stirring), and cook until all the liquid is absorbed and you get lovely fluffy rice.
- Make quick chipotle oil by adding a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pain and Smoky Chipotle Fajita and Taco Mix.
- Gently crack egg into pan, cook fried egg until white is set and to your liking – we love crispy edges!
- To serve we like to add some avocado, fresh chillies, coriander, chopped onion for crunch and a dollop of creme fraiche.
What To Serve With Mexican Chipotle Rice:
Mexican Chipotle Rice is a side dish that will go with just about anything – we love serving it with a side of Refried Beans or Frijoles. For a restaurant style experience to rival the best Mexican restaurant in town, try pairing with:
Another one of our favourite ways to eat it is as a meal with a fried egg cooked in chipotle oil on top so we have included that in steps 7-8 above but they are optional.