Huevos Rancheros, translated means “ranch eggs”, might have first become popular as the breakfast of choice for workers on rural farms in Mexico but it has become a classic Mexican breakfast recipe and a very popular one outside Mexico too.
There are many different variations of this dish, but the traditional huevos rancheros recipe is all about the fried eggs and warm red sauce with chorizo.There is something so delicious about cutting into the eggs and the runny yolk mixes with the delicious warm cooked sauce.
For our huevos rancheros recipe we wanted to focus on making a great homemade rancheros sauce. We feel that the perfect huevos rancheros is mainly all about that tasty Mexican sauce, so why not make it the star of the show. Our recipe uses chorizo meat fried with onion, chilli and Chipotle Paste. The simplicity of combining the delicious chorizo oil with the smokiness of the paste creates a beautiful base for our sauce. We then add cherry tomatoes, passata and a bit of chicken stock, all simmered down to concentrate the flavours.
The eggs are poached in the sauce and garnished with lightly charred red chilli and finely chopped spring onions scattered on top. Crumbled feta cheese is then added along with chopped coriander, all of which has the sole purpose of adding extra layers of flavour.
This is a great breakfast or brunch dish especially if you are having some friends around or need a hearty start to your day.
How to make it
- Begin by preparing the sauce. In a pan add a drizzle of olive oil. Once it’s hot enough, add the chorizo meat (without the casing) and break the meat into the pan with a wooden spoon. Let your chorizo crisp up slightly and once it’s ready remove half of the chorizo from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan with the remaining chorizo, add the onion, the red chilli and Chipotle Paste. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onion softens. You can then add the cherry tomatoes and stir briefly, season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour in the passata and the chicken stock. Stir and simmer your sauce on a low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in another pan add a little bit of olive oil and the spring onion and red chilli. Fry over a high heat until it gets a bit charred all the way round. Once ready, remove them from the heat and chop finely. Place them in a small bowl and set aside.
- Check your sauce has a good consistency and crack the eggs in carefully, making space for each one of them. Cover your pan with a lid and let the eggs cook for a couple of minutes (be careful not to overcook the yolks if you want them to remain runny inside).
- In the meantime, warm up the Cantina Beans in a small saucepan and the Burrito Wraps in a pan. Keep them warm by wrapping them with a tea towel.
- Once the eggs are cooked, remove your pan from the heat and garnish with the spring onion and red chilli scattered on top. Crumble feta cheese and finally add freshly chopped coriander on top.
- Serve the eggs in a bowl with some of the sauce, a spoonful of Cantina Beans, and a warm Burrito Wrap folded into a triangle and tucked into the sauce. Enjoy!
*NB: for this recipe, we recommend using Burrito Wraps as you can soak more of the sauce onto them. Having said that, there is nothing to stop you from using our Soft Taco Wraps.
What to serve with huevos rancheros
A freshly brewed cup of coffee, some warm tortillas, perhaps a side of Mexican Black Beans and you’ve got yourself the perfect Mexican breakfast!
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
What does huevos rancheros mean?
Huevos Rancheros translated means "ranch eggs" and refers to the style of eggs typically served on a rural Mexican ranch to the workers or rancheros.
What is rancheros sauce made of?
Rancheros sauce is typically a tomato based sauce with chillies. In our version, we use passata and chicken stock as the base with cherry tomatoes, red chilli, a dollop of our signature smoky Chipotle Paste, onion and crispy chorizo.
How do you eat huevos rancheros?
We think the best way to eat huevos rancheros, delicious eggs fried in a flavourful sauce, is to serve them in a bowl with a side of Cantina Beans and Burrito Wraps perfect for wrapping up all the saucy egg goodness.