Chilli Stuffed Peppers
Chilli Stuffed Peppers are a delicious and different way to enjoy chilli con carne. The sweet flavour of the roasted peppers is an excellent accompaniment to the meaty mayhem of a chilli con carne. If you’re vegetarian you can stuff the peppers with our Vegan Chilli Con Carne.
Be sure to check out our other recipe ideas for leftover chilli con carne.
1 hr 30 mins
How to make it
- Start with the chilli. Finely chop all the fresh veg (onion, garlic, celery, carrot, peppers) and gently fry in olive oil for 8-10 mins or until nice and soft in a large casserole dish.
- Throw in the Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste cumin and cinnamon.
- Add the tomatoes, Cantina Beans and finely chopped coriander stalks.
- Fry the minced beef in 2 tsp of olive oil in another frying pan to brown (this will add flavour to the meat) then add to the other ingredients.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Put a lid on it, leaving a small gap and cook on a low heat for about an hour (longer if you have time).
- Meanwhile, get preparing your peppers. Cut each one in half (from top to bottom; if you care about presentation, try to cut the stalk down the middle so each half has half a stalk).
- Remove the seeds and make cavity as hollow as possible.
- Lay them on a baking tray hollow side up and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Roast for 20mins at 180C Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook your rice (see packet for instructions).
- Taste your chilli and add more seasoning if necessary. If too liquidy, remove the lid and cook uncovered for a while.
- Once happy with your chilli, mix it with the rice and a handful of chopped coriander leaves (we went for about 60% chilli to 40% rice).
- Stuff the peppers with the chilli rice mixture.
- Top each with a little cheese and pop back in the oven for a while to heat through and melt the cheese.
- Season to taste and sprinkle remaining coriander leaves before serving.