Uses Chipotle Mayo
Chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican recipe normally served at breakfast or brunch. A rich, spicy tomato sauce is poured over crispy tortilla chips and then topped with cheese and fried eggs.
It makes a delicious and filling brunch with just enough of a spicy kick. Mexicans know what they’re doing, don’t they!
How to make it
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chipotle chilli paste, onion and garlic and cook for 20 minutes until softened.
- Tip into a blender and add the tomatoes and coriander stalks, reserving the leaves to garnish. Blitz until smooth.
- Heat another slug of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat until quite hot. Pour in the tomato paste and bring to the boil (be careful as it will splutter). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill.
- Place about half the tortillas in a large flameproof dish. Spoon about half the sauce over them and gently move them around until they’re nicely covered. Sprinkle with half the feta and Cheddar, as well as half the reserved coriander leaves. Cover with the remaining tortillas and the sauce, making sure all the chips are covered. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Place under the grill for about 5–6 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, fry the eggs in a little oil (or poach them for a healthier alternative, keeping the yolks nice and runny as this will really add something to the dish. Remove from the grill, top with the fried eggs and sprinkle with the coriander and radishes. Serve with wedges of lime for people to squeeze as they please.
If you don’t have time to make the sauce, you could use a bottle of our fajita cooking sauce instead.
Have you tried these recipes?
Uses Chipotle Paste