Beef Picadillo Recipe
Beef Picadillo has to be one of the easiest meals to prepare, a secret weapon that many Mexican cooks use to feed their families during a busy week. It mainly consists of beef mince fried with onions and garlic, then cooked with diced vegetables, can be spicy or mild (as you prefer), normally served with refried beans and Mexican rice on the side.
What makes Picadillo such a life saver is that there isn’t just one recipe for it, you can adapt to what you have at home and make use of any vegetables or herbs that perhaps are looking a bit sad over your kitchen counter, it’s a great way to clean up your fridge before getting a fresh shop. You can even substitute the beef mince for cooked brown lentils to make a vegan version of this dish.
At Luchito we like to use a bit of Garlic and Guajillo Fajita and Taco Mix to add more depth of flavour to our Picadillo. Gran Luchito Fajita and Taco Mixes are a great way to add seasoning in a speedy way to any of your meals, and what we love about our garlic and guajillo mix is that it provides a lot of flavour without being spicy which makes it perfect to season your family meals.
Our Mexican Beef Recipes has lots of great ideas and recipes to bring even more flavour to your beef.
Quick and Easy
How to make it
- Begin by preparing your vegetables, peel your shallots and garlic, chop them finely and reserve. Peel and dice your potato and half of a butternut squash. Chop your red pepper into small pieces.
- Heat up half the oil in a large frying pan, then add the shallots and garlic, once this is cooked add the butternut squash and potatoes, stir continuously and add the red pepper at the end, cook everything for 5 minutes approx. Then remove all the vegetables from the pan and place them in a bowl, set aside.
- Add the remaining oil into the same pan and cook the mince meat season with Garlic and Guajillo Fajita and Taco Mix, cook your meat over medium heat until it gets a bit of colour.
- Pour in the vinegar, orange juice, stock, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover your pan with a lid and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes or until your potatoes are cooked through.
- In the meantime pour one pack of Chipotle Refried Beans in and heat them up on low heat.
- Serve your Picadillo in a bowl with a spoonful of refried beans on the side, garnish with fresh coriander, avocado and creme fraiche, don’t forget to have warm soft Luchito Soft Wheat Soft Taco Wraps on the side, enjoy!