It was when travelling to Mexico City for the second time that my cousin May introduced me to the pure pleasure that are Tuna Tostadas. This snack is served in Mexican bars in much the same manner that chicken wings are served in America. However I’m pretty sure that this recipe is healthier then deep fried wings and tastier!
Tuna Tostadas are good news.
The crispy corn tortillas might be a little tricky to track down (try Amazon or your local Mexican grocery store) but don’t try and substitute them with something else. Size is everything here and the bigger the corn tortilla the better. This is definitely a case where persistence will pay off.
These Mexican tuna tostadas are so simple to make. Simply spread the corn tortillas with our Smoked Chilli Mayo, top em with tuna marinated in lime juice & soy, sprinkle with crispy deep-fried leeks and plenty of lime & coriander.
It’s fusion food and it’s seriously amazing!
If you’re having a Mexican night in, head to our guide for easy Mexican eats.
Cut the leeks and wash well
Slice into thin strips and bring to the boil in waterGet your hands on some fresh tunaSlice the tuna into thin slicesFry the dried leeks in olive oil until crispy and goldenDrain on paper towelMarinade the tuna in lime juice & soy sauce for five minsSpread Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo onto crispy tortillas, followed by the marinated tuna, crispy leeks, coriander, fresh lime juice, avocado, salt & pepper.
Tuna Tostadas Recipe
- 2 Leeks
- 6 Corn tortillas (we used Tostadas Sanissimo)
- 18oz Tuna (good quality; as fresh as possible)
- 2.5 fl oz Light soy sauce
- 2.5 fl ozFresh lime juice
- 6tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo
- 2 Small avocados
- 6.5 fl oz Olive oil
- Fresh coriander
- Lime slices for squeezing
- Cut your leeks down the middle and wash them well.
- Discard the dark green part (save this to make a vegetable stock).
- Cut the rest into thin strips about 7cm in length (see pics)
- Add them to a pan of cold water and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, drain and squeeze excess water out. Spread out on paper towel to dry as much as possible (you can even put them in a warm oven...the drier they are, the crispier they'll be!)
- Carefully heat the olive oil in a pan/wok and add the leeks in batches. Use a slotted spoon to move them around and fry until beginning to turn golden (don't worry that some remain green). Drain on paper towel. They should be nice and crispy.
- Slice your tuna into slabs about ½cm thick. If they're too big, just half or quarter them.
- Mix the soy sauce and lime juice and lay the tuna slices in it mixing it a little so all surfaces are covered. Leave for 5 mins then drain.
- If using corn tortillas, you'll need to deep fry them in some vegetable oil.
- Spread each crispy tortilla with 1tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo. Add a few slices of tuna, then top with the crispy leeks, sliced avocado, a good squeeze of fresh lime juice, some fresh black pepper, salt and a sprinkle of finely chopped fresh coriander.