Mexican Chicken Pie
When we mentioned we were cooking a chicken pie to the Gran Luchito team they were all pretty excited. Merely mentioning a Chicken Pie brought back childhood memories, a portion of pie served on a winter’s evening along side some steamed veg.
One of the keys to any pie is the pastry and for something a little different we’ve gone with filo pastry. You could also try shortcrust or puff pastry or really mix it up with chicken pot pie with dauphinoise potatoes on top.
To give this chicken pie recipe a Mexican twist, we spiced up the creamy white sauce with some of our Mexican Chilli Paste and threw in some lovely chunky chorizo for good measure.
Well worth a try on a weekend or midweek. If you like the look of this, you’re going to love our spicy creole chicken casserole with herby dumplings.
Fry leeks, carrot, garlic, chorizo, herbs and our version of a Chipotle paste
Mexican Chicken Pie Recipe
- 1¾ Cups chicken broth
- 2 Free-range chicken breasts
- 3 Free-range chicken thighs (boned)
- ⅓ Cup white wine
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 1tbsp Fresh thyme
- 1tbsp Fresh tarragon
- 1 Large carrot
- ¼ Cup butter
- 4oz Chorizo
- 2 Small leeks7fl oz Single cream
- Olive oil
- ⅙ Cup cornflour (mixed with a little cold water)
- Filo pastry
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Heat the butter and a lug of the olive oil in a pan over a low/medium heat.
- Chop the leeks, carrots, garlic, chorizo, thyme and tarragon and add to the pan along with the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste. Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the white wine, stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Cut chicken into bitesized pieces and add to the pan along with the broth, cream and cornflour (pre-mixed with a little cold water). Stir continuously until it simmers and begins to thicken. This should take about 10-15 mins.
- Remove from heat and empty contents into an oven-proof dish.
- Cut filo pastry sheets to the approximate size of your dish. Add 1 layer at a time, creating textures by scrunching it up as you lay them on.
- Brush each sheet with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of pepper before adding the next. You'll want about 10 layers in total. Finish with a brush of olive oil, pepper and a generous sprinkle of salt.
- Bake in the oven until golden on top, taking care not to burn it (approx. 20 mins).
Have you tried this Mexican Chicken pie recipe? If so please let us know how it was