Chilli Con Carne Empanadas
Delicious Crumbly Pastry Stuffed Full Of Tasty Chilli Con Carne Made With Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste. This Is A Great Way To Take Your Chilli To A Picnic, Perfect For Parties Or Just An Interesting And Original Way To Eat Chilli At Home. Still peckish? Check out some other Gran Luchito Snacks.
Chilli Con Carne Empanadas Recipe
- 9oz Minced beef
- 1 Medium onions
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Small carrot
- ½ Stick celery
- 1 Red pepper
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- ½ tsp Cinnamon powder
- 7oz Kidney beans (tinned)
- 14oz Chopped tomatoes (tinned)
- Olive oil
- Small bunch cilantro
- Salt & pepper
- 11lb All purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4oz Butter
- Start with the chilli. Finely chop all the fresh veg (onion, garlic, celery, carrot, pepper) and gently fry in a lug of olive oil for 8-10 mins or until nice and soft in a large casserole dish.
- Throw in the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, cumin and cinnamon.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans and finely chopped cilantro stalks.
- Fry the minced beef with a lug of olive oil in another frying pan to brown (this will add flavour to the meat) then add to the other ingredients and mix well.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Put a lid on it, leaving a small gap and cook on a low heat for about an hour (longer if you have time).
- Meanwhile, prepare your pastry. Strain the flour into a large mixing bowl and add your salt and baking soda
- Cut the butter into small chunks and add to the flour mixture. Use your fingertips to squeeze the butter into the flour until it forms breadcrumbs.
- Add water a couple of tablespoons at a time mixing with a table knife as you go until it comes together to form a soft dough. This should require about 3-4tbsp. Don't overwork the dough.
- Once combined, form dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Once you're happy with the consistency of the chilli, season, remove lid and take off heat to cool.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
- Take your pastry from the fridge. Either roll out the whole thing and cut 12cm circles out, or pinch off balls the size of golf balls and flatten/roll out to 12 cm.
- Spoon a little of the mixture onto each circle over to on side (see pictures). Don't overpack as they'll be impossible to close.
- Use your finger with a little water to moisten the outside edge of the pastry circles.
- Flip over the side without chilli on and use your fingers to slightly stretch it around the filling so it fits snuggly over and the edges of the circle meet smoothly.
- At this point, you'll want to carefully pick the whole thing up and crimp the edges. Unless you've done this before, it might be worth practising on a piece of scrap pastry as it can be a little tricky. If you've never crimped before, here's a little video to show you how!
- Take your beaten egg and brush each sealed empanada lightly (this will give it a nice shine once it's cooked).
- Sprinkle each with a little salt and bake for about 15-20 mins, or until the pastry is golden.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
Check Out Our Article On “Nine Wicked Ways To Eat Chilli Con Carne” For More Ideas