Depending on which part of Mexico you’re in, Huevos Rancheros can take different forms,
from the way it’s presented to the type of tomato used, but we think there’s no right or wrong way as long as it tastes delicious!
This is the Gran Luchito take on huevos rancheros. We poached the eggs in a slow-cooked tomato and red pepper sauce made spicy with some Smoked Chilli Paste. They are then served on soft flour tortillas (but works just as well on thick slices of toast). This is a great idea for breakfast/brunch when you’ve got the time to make it.
It’s everything you need to set yourself up for a productive day.
Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- 1 Onion
- 2 Red peppers
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 2 x Chopped tomatoes (tinned)
- 1tsp Smoked Paprika (optional)
- 1tsp Sugar
- 2 Ripe tomatoes
- 4 Free range eggs
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh coriander
- Mature cheddar cheese
- *If you want to add meat, maybe add some diced chorizo.
- Get a large pan (with a lid for later) on a low/medium heat with a good lug of olive oil. Slice the onion, garlic, red pepper and add to the pan. Add the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, bay leaves, paprika, salt & pepper. You can also add the chopped stalks from the fresh coriander.
- Fry until starting to soften (about 15mins).
- Dice the fresh tomatoes and add along with the tinned tomatoes along with a teaspoon of sugar (this will balance the acidity of the tomatoes).
- Mix together and cook for another 10mins, or until it is reducing down to a nice rich sauce. Be sure to taste it and adjust the seasoning.
- Use a food processor to blend about half of the sauce until it's completely smooth. Return to the pan and mix in.
- At this point, form 4 spaces in the sauce, evenly spaced out, with a wooden spoon.
- Crack each egg into its own space. Put the lid on and continue to cook. Check after about 4 mins. This is important. Don't completely cook the eggs. Take off the heat while they're still undercooked. Sprinkle with grated cheese and put under the grill for a few minutes to melt it (this will finish the eggs off too).
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with warm tortillas, or some nice crusty toasted bread.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
Have you tried this Huevos Rancheros recipe? If so please let us know how you got on.