Vegan Burrito Recipe With Spicy Jackfruit
A good burrito is made with nice flour tortillas and a tasty filling. It’s a great meal to have on the go, take to the office, or school as a packed lunch – a much tastier option than a sandwich! Often burrito recipes focus on meat eaters and don’t satisfy vegans and vegetarians. In this Vegan Burrito recipe with spicy jackfruit, we offer everything a meat burrito has and make it look and taste just as good.
If you’ve never tried jackfruit this is your chance to! It’s very easy to prepare, and when combined with a sauce and cooked in the oven, it resembles the texture of shredded meat. Another plus about using jackfruit as your main protein is that it requires less cooking time than if you were cooking a piece of meat, making it perfect for everyday meals.
For this spicy burrito recipe we cover the jackfruit with Chipotle Paste and Chipotle Honey (amongst other ingredients) creating the perfect marinade for our plant-based filling. Once it comes out of the oven steaming hot, it is then shredded and ends up resembling pulled pork! It will taste just as good as any meat option you’ve tried!
This is a fiery recipe but you can adjust the heat by adding half the amount of Chipotle Paste, and prepare it according to your preference.
We recommend sharing a platter of our delicious Vegan Nachos – yum!
There are no rules in terms of what you can put into a burrito, so just like tacos, they are the perfect vessel to wrap up any leftovers. What’s not to love about a warm and soft Burrito Wrap holding a flavourful and substantial filling?!
Our favourite burrito recipes blog post has lots of burrito inspiration.
How to make it
- Preheat oven 200 C , 392 F
- Start by making the adobo to coat your jackfruit. In a food processor add the garlic, Chipotle Paste, Chipotle Honey, black peppercorns, cumin , olive oil, coriander, orange juice, vinegar and a pinch of salt, blitz all the ingredients together until you get a smooth mixture, set aside.
- Drain your jackfruit chunks and pat dry with paper towels, then place it on a baking dish with the sliced onion on top. Pour the chipotle adobo over the jackfruit and cover your baking dish with tin foil tightly, bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your quick pico de gallo, in a bowl add the tomato cherries cut into quarters, the onion (diced), lime juice, olive oil, freshly chopped coriander, season with a pinch of salt, freshly ground pepper and mix with a spoon, set aside.
- After 30 min take your baking dish out of the oven, remove the tin foil and shred the jackfruit with the help of two forks. Integrate the onion and juices together, place it back in the oven for another 10 minutes uncovered so they crisp up a bit.
- Warm up your Cantina Beans and reserve.
- Warm up a Mexican Burrito Wrap into a hot pan, once warm lay your tortilla over a chopping board, then add a spoonful of Cantina Beans, one of pulled Jackfruit, add a dollop of creme fraiche, fresh coriander and your pico de gallo.
- Fold the sides of the burrito in (so the filling won’t come out), then roll it up tightly and cut with a sharp knife in half , serve warm.