Pulled Pork Chimichanga
1 hour 15
How to make it
- Heat oven to 100C. Place pulled pork in ovenproof dish, cover and place in oven to warm.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add olive oil and butter.
- Add the chopped red onion and fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once softened, add the garlic and Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste, stir and cook for another 5 minutes (don’t let the garlic burn).
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, a pinch of salt and pepper and sugar. Cook for another 15 minutes or until it has thickened a bit, then blitz in a food processor to a smooth sauce.
- If eating with rice, start cooking it now. Place 1 cup on rice in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Add a cinnamon stick and any other spices you like (star anise works well!) along with a sprinkle of salt.
- Place a lid on pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until water evaporates (don’t remove lid during cooking).
- Warm tortillas in a covered bowl in the microwave to soften.
- Once warm, spread an even amount of refried beans onto each tortilla in the middle.
- Add an even amount of pulled pork to each tortilla, followed by the finely chopped mozzarella cheese.
- Wrap the tortillas up tightly, folding in the sides to make 4 burritos. Hold in place with a cocktail stick.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or large saucepan until very hot (test oil with a piece of tortilla; it should start to bubble). Alternatively, you could brush the burritos with a little oil and bake in a hot oven until crispy.
- Carefully lower wrapped burritos into the oil and cook for a few minutes until crispy. Turn over and get crispy all over.
- Place on kitchen roll to soak up excess oil.
- Check rice. When cooked, remove lid, leave to cool a little, remove whole spices and stir through roughly chopped coriander (hold a little back for garnish).
- Serve crispy chimichangas on bed of rice, topped with spicy tomato sauce and a dollop of sour cream.
- Sprinkle with coriander and black pepper.
- If making guacamole, mash ripe avocado in a bowl then add roughly chopped coriander, lime juice, red onion and a little salt and pepper.
Have you tried these recipes?
Uses Chipotle Mayo