Pork in Salsa Verde Tacos
These Pork in Salsa Verde Tacos are inspired by the Mexican stews known as “Guisados” or “Guisos”. There isn’t just one recipe for guisados, but they mainly consist of a protein (chicken or beef most commonly) that is cooked slowly in a pot and combined with a flavoursome sauce and vegetables making it the perfect one pot meal. The sauces used can be tomatillo based or made with dried Mexican chilies that are prepared into a paste which is then cooked with the meat, vegetables and perhaps a bit of stock.
Every family has their own recipes and variations of this meal and something from what their “abuelitas”, “grandmas” or certain “aunties” are known for.
This is perfect for sharing in the middle of the table and to have everyone helping themselves to make their own tacos with warm soft tortillas, or also just served with a bit of mexican rice and freshly made beans on the side.
Our guisado is made using pork shoulder cooked with fried onions, potatoes and seasoned with our Garlic & Guajillo Fajita and Taco Mix, then covered and simmered in our delicious Enchilada Cooking Sauce, finished with freshly chopped coriander and served with Luchito Soft Taco Wraps.
A favourite recipe of our family and friends, we hope that your family will love it too!
How to make it
- Begin by peeling your garlic cloves and onion and chop them both finely.
- Heat up the oil in a heavy base sauce pan over medium heat, add in the onion and garlic and cook slowly, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime cut your pork shoulder steaks into bite-size cubes, then add them into the pan with the onion and garlic, season with the Garlic & Guajillo Fajita and Taco Mix, freshly grind black pepper and a pinch of salt, stir and cook your meat over high heat.
- Once your meat is cooked and gets a bit of colour add in the potatoes and Enchilada Cooking Sauce. Stir and cover your pan with a lid, cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, finish your dish by adding the freshly chopped coriander.
- For this dish, you have two serving options either served in a bowl with warm Soft Taco Wraps on the side or you can serve in already prepared tacos (as seen in the pictures). Don’t forget to add a little squeeze of lime and more freshly chopped coriander in your tacos for that last perfect touch, enjoy!