Uses Chipotle Mayo
We’ve basically just pimped a Spanish tortilla (think omelette made with potatoes) by adding chipotle chilli paste, bacon and sweet red peppers.
If you’ve got a picnic coming up – or if you want a change from your usual sandwich lunch – make this a day or two in advance, slice it up into bite-sized chunks and pop it in a lunch box.
How to make it
- Put the potatoes in a colander and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of salt. Leave to stand for 10 minutes to remove some of the moisture. Rinse and pat dry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over a low–medium heat and add the onion, red pepper, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, chipotle chilli paste and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a separate pan over a low–medium heat. Add the sliced potatoes and cook for 25 minutes until softened. Drain off the excess oil and combine them with the peppers and onion. Remove the bay and thyme stalks. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk well. Stir in the potato mix and spinach leaves.
- Wipe the frying pan clean and heat the remaining olive oil and the butter over a low–medium heat. Pour in the mixture and ensure it is evenly dispersed. Cook the tortilla for about 4–5 minutes, using a spatula to pull the edge up to check the underside is cooked.
- At this stage, you need to cook the top of the omelette. Either put a plate/chopping board on top of the pan and turn it upside down. You’ll then slide the omelette back into the pan to cook what was the top. Alternatively, you can place the pan under the grill to finish cooking.
Have you tried these recipes?
Uses Chipotle Paste