This delicious breakfast chilli recipe is a fantastic way to use up leftover chilli con carne and start your day with a massive flavour boost.
Get yourself some of our Chipotle Paste (a great store cupboard essential), some Soft Taco Wraps, some spicy Serrano Chillies, our authentic Mexican smoky black Cantina Beans, eggs, guacamole and tomatoes and enjoy a breakfast or brunch that’ll set you up for the rest of day. Not to mention, how much this chilli recipe is going to impress your loved ones.
The most important element in this chilli con carne recipe is to nail your fried egg to perfection!
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 55 mins
How to make it
- If you’re using leftover chilli, simply reheat it. To prepare from scratch, heat up the oil in a large casserole dish and add the fresh veg (onion, garlic, celery, carrot, peppers) and gently fry them for 8-10 mins or until nice and soft. Then add the cumin and cinnamon as well as the Chipotle Paste and stir.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, Cantina Beans and the finely chopped coriander stalks. Reduce the heat and let it simmer while you cook your meat.
- In a different pan brown the minced beef in 1 tsp of rapeseed oil. Once it gets a bit of colour add to the other ingredients in the casserole dish, and season with salt and pepper. Place a lid on it and simmer on a low heat for at least one hour.
- When the chilli con carne is cooked, remove from the heat.
- In a pan add a drizzle of oil and fry the eggs according to your preference. We love sunny side ups! Once ready, remove your eggs from the pan and place them on a plate covered with a bowl, to keep them warm.
- In the same pan add a bit more oil, the cherry tomatoes and quickly saute them with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Once ready, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Finally, in the same pan warm up your Soft Taco Wraps, get ready to serve your breakfast, and place the warm soft tacos in the plates (one per plate).
- Spoon a good amount of chilli on top of each tortilla, place an egg on top, and crumble a bit of feta. Follow this with the tomatoes, avocado slices, a couple of Fire Roasted Serranos, finely chopped red onion and coriander.