These crispy homemade oven chips are basically roast potatoes in the shape of chips and they are delicious!
Once you try making your own homemade chips, you won’t ever want to go back to the tasteless ones that come in a bag. Not only are they super tasty, but they are also easier to make than ones that are fried and also healthier.
With our easy, tried and tested recipe, we guarantee you will have delicious crispy homemade chips. Our secret is first in the potato selection. Potatoes come in two different sorts, waxy (such as a Maris Piper) and floury (such as a King Edward).
Opinions are split on which ones to use for chips. Chefs such as Heston Blumenthal back the floury ones whilst Jamie Oliver backs the wax! We decided to try both and for oven chips, we went with Jamie. The maris piper makes the chip more soft and fluffy which we really liked.
Another tip for crispy homemade chips is to cook them twice – first by par-boiling the potatoes and then by roasting them in a hot oven.
We roasted our homemade oven chips with a little rosemary and sea salt and then dipped them in our version of delicious smoky Gran Luchito Chipotle Ketchup for added flavour.
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 612 fat 7.8g saturates 0.7g carbs 17.6g sugars 0.8g fibre 2g protein 1.8g salt 0.34g
How to make it
- Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Carefully add the chips to the water and simmer for 5 minutes until slightly softened. Once ready, drain in a colander and leave to dry out completely, allowing the steam to escape.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas 6. Add the vegetable oil in a medium size roasting pan and place it in the oven for about 10 minutes until the oil is very hot.
- Tip the potatoes back into the saucepan and add olive oil, flour, rosemary and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Hold the lid on and give the pan a shake. The potatoes should fluff up at the edges but keep their overall shape (don’t worry if they break up a little).
- Very carefully spoon the potatoes into the hot oil, using a metal spatula to spread them around and get them covered in oil.
- Roast the potatoes for 35 minutes, keeping your eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Give the chips a good shake up every 10 minutes or so to ensure they are crisp all over. If they are not crisp enough after this time, return to the oven and continue to roast. Serve with a bowl of on the side.
What To Have With Chips
Discover The Authentic Taste Of Mexico With The Gran Luchito Mexican Chilli Gift BoxDiscover the authentic flavors of Mexico with the Gran Luchito Chili Gift Set. Featuring our smoky Chipotle Paste made with a blend of chipotle and rare Mexican chilies, spicy and crunchy Salsa Macha and zesty Chipotle Lime Paste. Available On Amazon Prime In The United Kingdom and The United States.
Download Our Free Guide To Mexican Classics
Your free guide will be emailed to you immediately.
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.