Authentic Chipotle Chicken Stew
The good news about the nights drawing in and the colder weather is that it is the perfect time for a warming bowl of stew!
Try our authentic twist on Mexican Chipotle Chicken Stew with a smoky chipotle sauce and our Sliced Mexican Green Cactus. It is just like the one you find in Abuela’s (Grandmother’s) kitchen if you happen to be from Mexico!
1 hour 20 mins
1 hour 30 mins
How to make it
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium/high heat. Add a little vegetable oil and the chicken thighs. Cook for a few minutes on each side until nicely browned.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the chopped onion and Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste. Stir well and cook until the onion is softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock & tomato puree. Stir well and leave to cook uncovered over a low heat for 1 hour, or until the chicken is falling away from the bone easily and the sauce is quite thick.
- Remove the chicken bones and discard. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken. Mix well.
- If too saucy, continue to cook until thicker.
- When ready to serve, add the Sliced Mexican Green Cactus and roughly chopped coriander leaves. Stir well and serve with sour cream/creme fraiche, a squeeze of fresh lime and a sprinkle of coriander.
Have you tried these recipes?
Uses Chipotle Mayo