Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken
This Chinese takeaway classic is easy to make and a brilliant way to use up leftover roast chicken from the weekend for a tasty midweek meal. Our chipotle paste brings the smoky spice whilst a dash of vinegar and brown sugar bring the sweet and sour.
Try it with either noodles or rice. If you like this, check out all our other Asian-inspired recipe ideas.
Easy Sweet & Sour Chicken
- 400g Roasted chicken (use leftover breast & dark meat)
- 2 Eggs
- 50g Plain flour
- 3tbsp White wine vinegar
- 2tbsp Demerara sugar/honey
- 1tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 2tsp Tomato puree
- 2 Garlic cloves (crushed)
- 3cm Ginger (grated)
- 1 Red pepper
- 1 Green pepper
- 2 Scallion (roughly chopped)
- Black pepper
- Noodles/rice to serve
- Prepare your choice of noodles or rice beforehand.
- Begin by making the sweet and sour sauce.
- In a saucepan, add 3tbsp white wine vinegar, 2tbsp sugar/honey, 2tsp tomato puree, 1tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 3cm grated ginger, and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Heat slowly and gradually bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for 5 mins then remove from heat.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and eggs as well as a good pinch of salt & pepper.
- Once mixed well, add the chicken and carefully fold it into the mixture. It will break up quite a lot if you're using mostly breast meat, but this is fine (see pics).
- Get a wok very hot with a splash of vegetable oil.
- Carefully add desert spoonfuls of the chicken mix to the hot wok in batches (add about 4 or 5 at a time so as not to overcrowd it).
- Leave to crisp up for a few minutes before stirring/tossing about to crisp up the other sides.
- Once golden and crispy, remove from wok and drain on paper towel, before cooking the rest.
- At this point, wait until you are ready to serve. When ready, add the chopped peppers to the wok on a high heat with a little oil.
- Once flash fried (a few minutes), return the chicken to the pan and immediately add the sauce and stir well until everything is covered.
- Serve with chopped scallions and your noodles or rice.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
Combine vinegar, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, sugar, ginger, tomato puree, salt & pepperCut chicken into stripsCut peppers into stripsCombine egg, flour, salt & pepper
Mix wellAdd chickenMix wellFry in oil, then fry peppers and combineAdd sauceMix well and add roughly chopped spring onionsServe with noodles, rice, or on its own