Crispy Oven Chips
When making homemade chips, the first important thing you need to decide is what kind of potato you’re going to use.
Potatoes come in two different sorts, waxy (such as a Maris Piper) and floury (such as a King Edward).
Opinions are split on which ones to use for potato chips, chefs such as Heston Blumenthal back the floury ones whilst Jamie Oliver backs the wax! We decided to try both and for oven chips we went with Jamie. The maris piper makes the chip more soft and fluffy which we really liked.
These crispy homemade chips are basically roast potatoes in the shape of chips. We roasted the chips with a little rosemary and dipped them in our version of a chipotle ketchup.
Add chips to a saucepan of well-salted water. Par-boil the chips (they should be about half way cooked).
Drain the water and leave without a lid for Five minutes to dry them out.
Add olive oil, flour, finely chopped rosemary and a good pinch of salt & pepper to the homemade chips. Put the lid on and shake up. If you’ve cooked them just right, they should fluff up at the edges but keep they’re overall shape and not break up too much.
Crispy Oven Fries
- 1¾ lb Potatoes (Maris piper)
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- 1tbsp All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 tbsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Ketchup
- Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 390°F .. Pour the vegetable oil onto a baking tray and place in the oven.
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add a little salt.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into evenly-sized fries shapes (make them as chunky or straw-thin as you like!).
- Carefully add the chips to the water and cook until they begin to cook on the outside (a few minutes).
- Drain the water and leave without a lid for 5 minutes to dry them out.
- Add olive oil, flour, finely chopped rosemary and a good pinch of salt & pepper to the potatoes. Put the lid on and shake up. If you've cooked them just right, they should fluff up at the edges but keep they're overall shape and not break up too much.
- Remove the baking tray (take care as it'll be very hot) and very carefully pour the potatoes onto the hot oil. Use a metal spatula to spread them around and get them covered in oil.
- Return to the oven and roast, keeping your eye on them so they don't burn.
- Give them a good shake up every 10 minutes or so to ensure they get crispy all over.
- Serve with Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Ketchup.
Return to the oven and roast, keeping your eye on them so they don’t burn. Give them a good shake up every Ten minutes or so to ensure they get crispy all over. Serve The HOmemade chips with Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Ketchup.