Uses Chipotle Honey
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken is a takeaway classic and it’s so easy to make and a brilliant way to use up leftover roast chicken from the weekend for a tasty midweek meal. Our Chipotle Paste brings the smoky spice whilst a dash of vinegar and brown sugar bring the sweet and sour.
How to make it
- Prepare your choice of noodles or rice beforehand.
- Begin by making the sweet and sour sauce.
- In a saucepan, add 3tbsp white wine vinegar, 2tbsp sugar/honey, 2tsp tomato puree, 1tsp Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 3cm grated ginger, and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Heat slowly and gradually bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for 5 mins then remove from heat.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and eggs as well as a good pinch of salt & pepper.
- Once mixed well, add the chicken and carefully fold it into the mixture. It will break up quite a lot if you’re using mostly breast meat, but this is fine (see pics).
- Get a wok very hot with a splash of vegetable oil.
- Carefully add desert spoonfuls of the chicken mix to the hot wok in batches (add about 4 or 5 at a time so as not to overcrowd it).
- Leave to crisp up for a few minutes before stirring/tossing about to crisp up the other sides.
- Once golden and crispy, remove from wok and drain on paper towel, before cooking the rest.
- At this point, wait until you are ready to serve. When ready, add the chopped peppers to the wok on a high heat with a little oil.
- Once flash fried (a few minutes), return the chicken to the pan and immediately add the sauce and stir well until everything is covered.
- Serve with chopped spring onion and your noodles or rice.
Have you tried these recipes?
Uses Chipotle Paste