Uses Chipotle Paste
Not many things beat a good steak sandwich and this is definitely a good one.
We barbecued some lovely flat-iron steaks and popped them between slices of toasted ciabatta with caramelised red onion, watercress and our chipotle mayo. It made a lovely combination and a great base for more experimentation.
As the steaks rest, they will release some liquid. Soak this up with the toasted ciabatta.
How to make it
- Put the butter, olive oil and sugar in a frying pan until melted and stir to combine. Add the onion and fry on a low–medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Add the balsamic and water. Lower the heat to minimum and cook for another 15 minutes, or until the onions are completely soft and sticky. Take care not to burn them.
- Cover the steaks in a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the steaks to a very hot barbecue or grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side to give you medium/rare steaks.
- Remove from the barbecue and leave to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Toast the ciabatta slices on the barbecue, being careful not to burn them.
- Spread the chipotle mayo onto the ciabatta slices and top with watercress, followed by the onions.
- Slice the steaks with a sharp knife and lay on top of onions. Top with ciabatta and enjoy!