Uses Chipotle Mayo
Mexican Tortilla Soup
Mexican tortilla soup is a rich chicken dish packed full of tasty fresh ingredients. A spicy tomato base with roast chicken is topped with crumbly cheese, chopped coriander, lime juice, avocado and crispy fried corn tortilla strips.
This tortilla soup is a wonderful way to use up a leftover roast chicken and if you’re struggling to find corn tortillas, you could use tortilla chips instead.
1 hour 5 mins
How to make it
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a low–medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute without letting it brown.
- Add the smoked chipotle paste and the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir and cook for about 15 minutes. Add the sugar, chicken stock and a good pinch of salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Blend to a smooth consistency, then add the chicken.
- Return to the heat and slowly bring to a simmer (if using chicken breast, take care not boil for too long as it will go dry).
- Place a few of the crispy tortillas into serving bowls, then pour in the soup. Top with the feta, a few more of the tortillas, thin slices of avocado, lime wedges and coriander.