Mexican Tortilla Soup
Mexican tortilla soup is a rich chicken dish packed full of tasty fresh ingredients. A spicy tomato base with roast chicken is topped with crumbly cheese, chopped coriander, lime juice, avocado and crispy fried corn tortilla chips.
This tortilla soup is a wonderful way to use up chicken. If you don’t have chicken then we reckon other meats would work just as well. Instead of topping with avocado, you could also try topping the soup with some homemade guacamole.
1 hour 5 mins
How to make it
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a low–medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute without letting it brown.
- Add the smoked chipotle paste and the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir and cook for about 15 minutes. Add the sugar, chicken stock and a good pinch of salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Blend to a smooth consistency, then add the chicken.
- Return to the heat and slowly bring to a simmer (if using chicken breast, take care not boil for too long as it will go dry).
- Place a few of the crispy tortillas into serving bowls, then pour in the soup. Top with the feta, a few more of the tortillas, thin slices of avocado, lime wedges and coriander.