Mexican Mini Scotch Eggs
Here‘s a great little idea for any Summer picnics you’ve got on the horizon. You’ll need to lay your hands on some quails eggs, which you can get from Whole Foods Market. Alternatively, try the same recipe with some normal hen’s eggs. Perfectly soft-boiled eggs wrapped in Gran Luchito-spiked sausage meat, all coated in the amazing Manomasa salt & black pepper tortilla chip breadcrumbs.
Mexican Mini Scotch Eggs Recipe
- 14oz Good quality classic pork sausages
- 1tbsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 1 Packet Tortillas (We used Manomasa salt & black pepper)
- 2oz all purpose flour
- 12 Quails eggs
- 1 Free-range egg
- Oil (for deep-frying)
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and a few ice cubes, set to one side. Place the quail’s eggs in a pan of boiling water and cook for 2minutes. Drain immediately then place in the iced water and leave for 10 minutes before peeling.
- To peel the eggs, tap the shell on a work surface to crack it and then gently roll it until the whole shell is cracked into tiny pieces. Now starting at the fat end of the egg start peeling, gently unraveling the shell away from the egg. Rinse off any stray bits of shell before repeating with the remaining eggs.
- Remove the meat from the sausage casing and place in a mixing bowl. Use a spoon or hands to mix in the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- Dust the eggs with flour to coat, then working with one egg at a time take about 1oz of sausage meat flatten it out with your fingers and then use to wrap a quails egg , gently pinching any seams together until the egg is completely sealed.
- Dust with flour once more before then rolling in the beaten egg followed by the crushed Manomasa chips. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer until it reaches 350F then fry the eggs in batches of 3 or 4 at a time for 4minutes. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot or cold.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon