This is a pretty serious chipotle meatball pasta bake recipe. We’ve used our awesome spicy Mexican meatballs and thrown them in with a rich tomato and red pepper sauce marbled with a velvety mozzarella and parmesan white sauce to make something very special indeed. For another Mexican/Italian fusion idea check out our Mexican Lasagna recipe.
1 hour 30 mins
2 hours 30 mins
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 166 fat 5.8g saturates 2.7g carbs 16g sugars 2.6g fibre 1.5g protein 11.4g salt 0.6g
How to make it
To Make The Cheese Sauce
- Once you have your meatballs ready, make a roux. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Stir until you have a paste and cook for about 10 minutes over a low heat (taking care not to burn it). The mix should get a bit darker.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, getting rid of any lumps. Continue cooking until it comes almost to the boil and thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Parmesan and half the mozzarella and stir in. Once melted, set aside whilst you prepare the rest
To Make The Tomato Sauce
- Heat a little of the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the onion, garlic, oregano and red pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes until the onion and pepper are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste, sugar, salt and pepper and stir. Leave to cook for 20 minutes.
- Blitz in a food processor until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water for 5–6 minutes until al dente, stirring regularly. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4.
- Gently mix the pasta, meatballs, basil and tomato sauce in a large ovenproof dish. Use a spatula to partially fold in the cheese sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella, a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until the top is golden and the edges are crusty.