Scotch eggs are not only mega tasty, they’re also good fun to make.
There are almost endless possibilities when it comes to flavour combos, but we wanted to make something a little different. We thought that Mexican flavours would work well (as they usually do). They did, and they had to be included here.
Feel free to mess around with different types of sausage and herbs.
1 hour 20 mins
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 254 fat 18g saturates 4.5g carbs 13.8g sugars 1.3g fibre 1.1g protein 1g salt 1g
How to make it
- Soft-boil 4 eggs for 6 minutes, 2 at a time, then peel.
- Blitz the Gran Luchito tortilla chips in a food processor to fine crumbs and put in a bowl. Whisk the remaining two eggs in a second bowl and put the flour in a third.
- Pulse the Gran Luchito chipotle chilli paste, bacon, spring onions, coriander, lime zest and juice and a pinch of salt and pepper in a food processor until roughly blended.
- Squeeze the meat out of the sausages into a bowl and mix in the spice mixture, using your hands. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Dust each peeled egg and your hands in a little plain flour. Flatten a ball of meat in your palm, put an egg in the centre, then carefully wrap the meat evenly around the egg.
- Dip each meat-wrapped egg in the flour, then the egg, then the Gran Luchito tortillas, then repeat the egg and tortilla stage to ensure a really crispy shell that won’t split when frying. Put on a plate in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or heavy-based pan to 150°C / 300°F, or when a piece of bread sizzles when dropped in. Carefully add the scotch eggs to the oil (one at a time) and cook for about 5 minutes until golden and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to turn them as they cook.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before slicing in half.
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
Comments / Questions / Tips
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.