Pozole is a Mexican Stew traditionally made with shredded pork, chilli broth enriched with pork stock and hominy, a type of maize that is most commonly found in Latin America. You can also find different variations of Pozole in Mexico: white pozole is made with a clear broth, green pozole made with poblano chilli, tomatillo and coriander, and the most popular red pozole made with Mexican dried chillies.
Pozole can be prepared with pork, beef or chicken. These days you can even find vegan versions of this traditional dish made with mushrooms, so there is something for everybody! Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste is so rich in flavour that it makes it the perfect addition to our pozole recipe and creates a smoky chilli version of this dish.
The recipe follows a very simple process of searing the meat and browning the onions, to then placing everything into a slow cooker alongside the Chipotle Paste, oregano, beef stock and the cooked onions. The slow cooker then does its magic and transforms the piece of meat into something that is so tender and easily shredded and succulent. This, combined with the chipotle stock and hominy make a very tasty stew!
Just remember to have all of your garnishes ready to be served on the side; iceberg lettuce, fresh coriander, chopped raw onion, finely sliced radishes, a bit of Gran Luchito Smoky Chipotle Fajita and Taco Mix and lime wedges!
3 hrs 30 mins
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 55 fat 2.4g saturates 0.7g carbs 3.2g sugars 1.4g fibre 1g protein 5g salt 0.7g
How to make it
- Heat a large pan over a high heat and add the olive oil. Season the beef with salt and pepper and sear it over the hot oil. Once it gets a good colour all around, remove it from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan fry the onion and garlic slowly over a low heat and set aside.
- Add the seared meat into the slow cooker, with the cooked onions, bay leaves, oregano, beef stock, water, coriander and . Stir in the salt and freshly ground black pepper and set the heat to high for 4 hours .
- When ready, remove the fat that forms at the top of the liquid with a spoon and discard. Pick the meat out of the slow cooker and shred it into smaller bite-size chunks. Once the meat is ready, put it back into the slow cooker alongside the hominy and cook everything on high for 1 more hour.
- Serve your pozole hot with everything on the side ready to garnish it: shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced radish, coriander, wedges of lime to squeeze and for that perfect final touch. Enjoy!
Download Our Free Guide To Mexican Classics
Your free guide will be emailed to you immediately. This Pozole Soup would be a great starter before tucking into either one of these mains: Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.
What To Serve With Pozole Soup
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
Comments / Questions / Tips
This Pozole Soup would be a great starter before tucking into either one of these mains:
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.