Uses Chipotle Paste
Chilli Con Carne Balls
When we made deep fried mac n cheese balls, they went down an absolute storm. So whilst brainstorming for our quest to bring you new ways to enjoy Chilli Con Carne, we thought we’d see if this new take on meatballs would work. Work they do! Chilli con carne balls are a great way to use up left-over chilli con carne.
1 hour 45 mins
1 hour 50 mins
How to make it
- Start with the chilli. Finely chop all the fresh veg (onion, garlic, celery, carrot, peppers) and gently fry in olive oil for 8-10 mins or until nice and soft in a large casserole dish.
- Throw in the Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste, cumin, cinnamon, tomatoes, kidney beans and finely chopped coriander stalks.
- Fry the minced beef in another frying pan to brown (this will add flavour to the meat) then add to the other ingredients. Add salt & pepper.
- Put a lid on it, leaving a small gap and cook on a low heat for about an hour (longer if you have time).
- Whilst the chilli is cooking, make your other bits and pieces. If you don’t have a deep-frier, heat a large saucepan full of vegetable oil until it’s around 170C (too hot and the balls will fall to pieces, too cold and they won’t go crispy).
- Blitz the tortilla chips in a food processor (you might have to do it in batches). You don’t want dust, just small pieces. Throw a handful of coriander in with it and combine batches on a plate.
- Crack a couple of eggs and beat them and pour onto another plate.
- Leave your chilli to cool, and mix in a handful of cheddar cheese. Take golf ball-sized pieces of the cooled chilli and roll into spheres. Dunk in the egg, then roll in the crushed tortilla. Repeat once more so they’re well covered.
- Once you’ve got enough, carefully lower into the oil in batches of about 4 or 5 and fry until the outside is golden and crispy. Leave to drain on kitchen roll.
- Guacamole: Remove the flesh from the avocados and mash them with the lime juice until at your preferred consistency (we prefer ours slightly chunky).
- Chop up the coriander and tomatoes and stir through avocado. Season to taste. Serve with sour cream.
Have you tried these recipes?
Uses Chipotle Paste