Who doesn’t love a hash brown !? Even at their worst they’re the best. We just knew a homemade version with a dollop of our Smoked Chilli Mayo would be awesome. We added finely sliced spring onion for a little extra pizazz and topped it with a fried egg. If you’re looking for a nice new breakfast/brunch idea , you could do a lot worse than make this.
Hash Brown Recipe
- 2 Medium potatoes (peeled)
- 2 Spring onions
- 1tbsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo
- 1-2 Eggs
- 1tbsp Butter
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Grate the peeled potatoes on the large holes side of a box grater (see images below).
- Place grated potato into a clean tea towel, wrap it up and twist the ends as far as you can. Do this over a sink. Water from the potatoes should come out. Keep doing this until you can't get any more out.
- Place the potato between layers of kitchen roll and press down to remove more moisture.
- Wash and finely slice the spring onions. You want them as similar in size to the potato pieces as possible.
- Mix together the potato and onion. Season well with salt & pepper.
- Heat half the butter and olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat until the butter has melted. You want it hot enough to hear a sizzle when you add the potato, but not hot enough to burn the butter.
- Put the mixture into the pan and shape with a spatula. Don't make it too thick otherwise the potato will be raw inside. It should be about 3cm thick.
- It should take about 10mins to get good and crispy, but carefully check with a spatula before that to make sure it isn't burning.
- Once it's golden, you'll need to flip it. Depending on how big you've made it, you may be able to do it with the spatula. Otherwise, place a plate onto of the pan, put your hand on the bottom of the plate and flip the whole lot upside down nice and quickly, taking care not to burn yourself with the hot butter/oil. Add the rest of the butter & oil to the pan, and then slide it back in to crisp up the other side. Those of you who aren't happy doing that, take the remaining butter and spread it over the top of the hash brown, and then pop it under the grill for 5 mins or so. Again, take care not to burn it.
- Once ready, gently tip it out onto a plate. Heat a little oil in the same pan and crack an egg in. Alternatively, you could poach it.
- Serve the hash brown with the fried egg on top and a dollop of Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo on the side.
Have you made this Hash Brown recipe? If so please do let us know how you got on?