We wanted to make a mushroom burger that would give its meaty cousin a run for their money in the flavour department, and we think we nailed it here.
This is a celebration of beautiful veggie friendly ingredients, rather than trying to imitate meat in a pattie that just wouldn’t match up. You get juiciness from the mushroom, salt and crunch from the halloumi and big flavour from that pesto.
If you fancy a fully fledged beef burger be sure to check out our Mexican Hamburger recipe and if veggies are your thing check out our vegan pulled pork.
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 153 fat 9.5g saturates 3.7g carbs 8.9g sugars 2.6g fibre 1.9g protein 8.1g salt 0.91g
How to make it
- Brush the pepper with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then char in a griddle pan or under the grill until the skin is blackened and the peppers are completely cooked.
- Place in a bowl and put a plate over the top to trap the steam and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, reheat griddle pan. Brush the mushrooms and slices of halloumi with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the hot griddle pan and cook until the halloumi is golden on both sides and the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Remove the skin from the pepper.
- To a dry pan, add the almonds and toast for 5 minutes, taking care not to burn them. Remove and leave aside.
- Add the garlic to the pan with a couple of slugs of olive oil, the thyme leaves and Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste. Stir and cook over low–medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Put the almonds, peppers, garlic mix and a small handful of grated Parmesan in a food processor and pulse until you get a slightly chunky pesto.
- Dress the rocket leaves with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Spread a little pesto on the bottom half of each bun, followed by the rocket, a slice of halloumi, the mushroom and another dollop of pesto.
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
Healthy Turkey Burger
Comments / Questions / Tips
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.