Essentially a giant Yorkshire pudding with sausages baked into it – what’s not to love?
Turns out it’s the perfect dish to receive the Luchito treatment, with both the batter and the onion gravy benefitting (feel free to leave one out if you think it’s too much, we just wanted to show you that both are possible, and both work really well!)
1 hour 30 mins
Nutrition: Per servingkcal 125 fat 7.5g saturates 2.5g carbs 9.9g sugars 2g fibre 1.1g protein 5g salt 1.1g
How to make it
TO MAKE THE TOAD IN THE HOLE
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas 6.
- Add 1 cm / ½ inch of vegetable oil to a roasting pan or cast iron pan and place in oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs until thick and fluffy.
- Add the flour and whisk until a smooth paste is formed.
- Add the milk, Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste and ale and whisk all the ingredients together. Leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- When the oil is hot, remove the pan from the oven and carefully add sausages. Return to the oven and cook for about 20 minutes until brown all over.
- Remove the sausages from the pan and leave aside.
- Put the oil back in the oven and increase the temperature to 240°C / 475°F / Gas 9 until the oil is smoking hot.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Give the batter a quick whisk, then swiftly but carefully pour it into the pan. The oil will bubble. Carefully arrange the sausages in the batter and drop a few sprigs of thyme on top.
- Put back in the oven for 25 minutes (keep your eye on it as it might burn). If it is browning too quickly, reduce the heat.
TO MAKE THE ONION GRAVY
- Heat a frying pan over a low/medium heat and add a little olive oil when warm.
- Slice the onion & garlic thinly and add to the pan along with Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste, and finely chopped rosemary.
- Cook until the onions are translucent and soft, stirring frequently (this will take around 20 minutes).
- Add the flour and stir. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a simmer and cook until the gravy thickens.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
Comments / Questions / Tips
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.