Mexican Meatball Mac N Cheese
Chances are you’re never likely to get bored of either macaroni cheese or meatballs, but if that were to happen, here’s a tasty way to combine them for an amazing dinner-time treat. For this meatball mac n cheese, we used a little of our Mexican Chilli Paste in both the meatballs and the cheese sauce giving a beautiful smoky flavour throughout the dish.
If meatballs are your thing, check out some of our different ideas for how to serve meatballs.
Cook flour and butter then stir in Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
Add milk and whisk until thick
Stir until melted
Give meatballs some colour
Stir cooked macaroni into cheese sauce
Poke in meatballs and top with spring onions and cheddar cheese
Bake until golden and finish under grill
Mexican Meatball Mac n Cheese
Mexican Meatball Mac n Cheese Recipe
- 5fl oz Milk
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 11oz Minced beef
- 7oz Minced pork
- 1 Onion
- 1 Garlic clove
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 10ml Water
- 1 Handful parsley (finely chopped)
- 1tsp Dried oregano
- 3oz Pancetta/bacon lardons
- Salt & pepper
- 1lb 2oz Dried macaroni
- ¾ Stick Butter
- ¾ Cup all purpose flour
- 1 heaped tbsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 6oz Grated mature cheddar cheese
- 6oz Mozzarella
- 2 Pints of full fat milk
- 2 Scallions
- Firstly, combine the breadcrumbs with the milk and stir. Leave to soak in while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook pancetta until cooked through. Place on a chopping board and chop finely before returning to the pan. Lower the heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to a food processor (alternatively just grate them).
- Add onion and garlic to the pancetta, along with oregano and Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste. Stir and cook for about 7-8 mins.
- Add a splash of water, stir and continue to cook until evaporated (5-6 mins). Leave to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the pancetta mixture with the soaked breadcrumbs, the minced beef and pork, parsley and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix well (with your hands preferably) and form into small balls (approx. 1inch in diameter). Pile on a plate and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Griddle, fry or roast the meatballs to give them some colour (they don't need to be completely cooked through as they'll be in the oven later).
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water until slightly undercooked (it will finish in the oven). Drain and add a drizzle of olive oil to prevent from sticking together.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Meanwhile, add butter to a frying pan over a medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir until it forms a paste. Continue to stir while for about 5 mins (this will cook the flour and avoid the sauce having a raw flour flavour).
- Add the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste and stir in.
- Add the milk and whisk continuously, bringing it to the boil slowly. It will begin to thicken. At this point, add the grated cheese (hold back a small handful of cheddar for the top) and stir in until melted.
- Stir the macaroni into the cheese sauce and add to oven-proof dish. Add the meatballs and push them into the pasta, leaving the tops poking out. Top with the roughly sliced spring onion and extra cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 30mins. Finish off with a blast under the grill to get the top crispy (don't burn it!)
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon