Late last year I was in New York visiting Chelsea Market Basket, the folks who import and distribute Gran Luchito in the United States.
Walking around town with the owner, David, he pointed out a new meatball restaurant that had recently opened. “You’ve ever done Meatballs with Luchito?” he asked.
Well David, this Mexican meatballs recipe is for you!
The secret to these delicious little meatballs, besides a healthy amount of our Smoked Chilli Paste, is the milk-soaked breadcrumbs. They give them a beautifully light and fluffy texture and once you’ve had one you won’t be able to stop…luckily this recipe makes quite a few!
Once you’ve mastered the Mexican meatballs you should check out our post on different ways you can serve them.
Soak breadcrumbs in milkFry pancettaChop finelyCombine pancetta, onion, garlic, oregano and Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
Mix well and cookAdd beef & pork mince along with breadcrumbsMix well with handsForm into balls and refrigerateSkewerGriddle until nicely coloured and cooked throughServe with guacamole, roughly chopped spring onion and lime wedges
Mexican Meatballs Recipe
- 5fl oz Milk
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 11oz Minced beef
- 7oz Minced pork
- 1 Onion
- 1 Garlic clove
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 10ml Water
- 1 Handful parsley (finely chopped)
- 1tsp Dried oregano
- 3oz Pancetta/bacon lardons
- Salt & pepper
- Firstly, combine the breadcrumbs with the milk and stir. Leave to soak in while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook pancetta until cooked through. Place on a chopping board and chop finely before returning to the pan. Lower the heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to a food processor (alternatively just grate them).
- Add onion and garlic to the pancetta, along with oregano and Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste. Stir and cook for about 7-8 mins.
- Add a splash of water, stir and continue to cook until evaporated (5-6 mins). Leave to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the pancetta mixture with the soaked breadcrumbs, the minced beef and pork, parsley and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix well (with your hands preferably) and form into small balls (approx. 1inch in diameter). Pile on a plate and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Skewer the balls onto wooden/metal skewers.
- Brush each ball with a little olive oil before you griddle/roast/grill/barbecue them.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
Have you tried this Mexican Meatballs Recipe? If so please do let us know how you got on.