Bacon and Banana Pancakes
If you’re looking for something a little different on Pancake Day, you should try these bacon and banana pancakes!
This great recipe comes from Karen over at Lavender and Loveage and you’re going to love it.
“I saw something very similar on Pinterest recently, an American recipe idea, and I thought how brilliant it was to have long strips of pancakes with bacon hidden in the middle of the batter – but, I wanted to make my own version of the idea, with British style bacon and bananas, so there would be sweet and savoury elements, as well as a vegetarian option. I also wanted to serve my pancake dippers (strips) with some fabulous Chipotle Honey I won from Gran Luchito last year – I have tried the honey with all sorts of ingredients such as cheese and bread sticks, but I had an idea it would be amazing with this pancake recipe.“
Karen Burns-Smith, Lavender and Loveage
Bacon And Banana Pancakes Recipe
- Butter to grease
- 225g Plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 Eggs
- 450ml Milk (or a little more if it is too thick)
- 10 Rashers of streaky bacon (5 rashers of back bacon, cut in half lengthways)
- 2 Bananas, cut lengthways into 4 or 5 slices
- Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Honey (to serve)
- First make the pancake batter. Put the flour and salt into a bowl, mix and make a well in the middle of the flour. Add the beaten eggs and start to mix with a wooden spoon, adding the milk gradually until you have a smooth batter. Beat well and set to one side until you are ready to cook the pancakes.
- Heat a griddle or a large heavy based frying pan and grease with a little butter. Pre-heat oven to 100C/200F.
- Fry the bacon first, until one side is crispy or to your liking - turn the bacon rasher over and pour pancake batter over the bacon in a long strip - it doesn't matter if it runs, you just get more pancake!
- Cook until bubbles appear on the pancake surface, then turn the pancake over to cook the pancake on the other side. Take bacon pancakes out of the griddle or frying pan and keep warm in preheated oven whilst you cook the rest of the pancakes.
- Fry the bananas after all the bacon has been cooked, unless you are cooking for vegetarians, in which case cook them first or in another griddle/pan. Turn them over once they are brown and pour the pancake batter over them and cook as before for the bacon pancakes. Keep them warm in the oven if necessary.
- When you are ready to serve the pancake strips, arrange them on a platter and serve with Smoked Chilli Honey Honey
For the original recipe, please visit Lavender and Loveage.