Fried Buttermilk Chicken
Our friend Alex first introduced us to recipe idea when he cooked up cold smoked chicken for his amazing Ideas in Food blog. Fried buttermilk chicken has always been a bit of favourite when eating out, though up until now we’d never tried it at home.
This gave us the chance to give the fried chicken the ‘Gran Luchito’ treatment. The result was mighty fine!
Hopefully this easy to follow recipe will inspire you give it a go!
The addition of our Mexican Smoked Chilli Paste in the buttermilk marinade works incredibly well. Its gives the chicken a little something extra. The trick is to leave the chicken in the marinade for as long as possible (preferably over night) so the chicken takes on all that lovely flavour .
Depending on how much Smoked Chilli Paste you decide to put in you get a sweet smokiness and a bit of a chilli kick.
We also used our version of a Chipotle Honey to make a honey mustard dip. We don’t need to tell you how that tasted, do we!
Discover more of our chickin lickin recipes.
Slice chicken breast into stripsMix buttermilk with Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli PasteMix in chicken and marinade for as long as possibleMake dip by mixing Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Honey with whole grain mustard, sour cream and white wine vinegar
Fry until golden all overServe with honey mustard dip
Fried Buttermilk Chicken Recipe
- 4 Free range chicken breasts
- 300ml Buttermilk
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 200g Plain flour
- 1½tsp Baking powder
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 150ml Sour cream
- 1tbsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Honey
- 1tbsp Whole grain mustard
- 1tsp White wine vinegar
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips.
- In a mixing bowl, add the buttermilk, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste along with a generous pinch of salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Add the chicken strips and leave to marinade for, at the very least, an hour, but preferably overnight in the fridge.
- Once ready to cook, in another mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt & pepper. Mix well.
- To this, add a few tablespoons of the buttermilk marinade and mix until the flour goes all clumpy. This will create nice crispy nuggets of breadcrumb.
- Prepare a baking tray with greaseproof baking paper.
- Add a single chicken strip and cover in the flour mixture until completely coated. Carefully lay on baking sheet.
- Repeat process until all chicken is coated.
- Heat the vegetable oil until it begins to shimmer (somewhere between 180C-190C). Test it's ready by dropping a little of the flour mixture in. It should bubble up a little.
- Once ready, very carefully add the chicken strips in batches of about 5. Use a slotted spoon to move them around and make sure they are golden all over before removing (about 3-4 minutes).
- They will continue to cook once removed so no need to cook them for too long.
- Place cooked strips onto a kitchen roll-lined plate to soak up the excess oil.
- Once all fried, prepare the honey mustard dip.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve alongside chicken as a dip.
- And there you have it, fried buttermilk chicken with smoked chilli.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
And there you have it, fried buttermilk chicken with smoked chilli
Have you tried this fried chicken recipe? If so please let us know how you got on.