Mexican Shepherds Pie
This Shepherds pie recipe was one of the first recipes that we made using our chipotle paste and over 200 recipes later, its honestly still one of our favs.
A Mexican shepherd is a pastor, so this is a pastor’s pie really. We highly recommend you try this Mexican Shepherd’s pie on a cold rainy night. Real comfort food with a gentle warming smoked Mexican chilli kick.
Brown lamb mince on a high heat and discard fat. Add Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste and flour.
Add chopped carrot, onion, garlic, rosemary and celery. Reduce heat and cook for Ten mins.
Add tomatoes, reduce heat and cook with a lid slightly ajar for an hour (minimum).
Peel, cut and boil potatoes in salted water until tender.Mash potato with Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo, butter, salt & pepper.
Assemble the shepherds pie with lamb mix on bottom
Top with mashed potato and knob of butter.
Cook The Mexican Shepherds Pie in a pre heated oven for about twenty five mins.
Mexican Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 1 tsp Plain flour
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Sticks of celery
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- Handful fresh rosemary
- Olive oil
- 1lb Quality minced lamb
- 2 tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 1 Tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 Cup Lamb or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3lb Potatoes
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo
- Fry the lamb mince on a high heat until nicely browned (this will add to the flavour). Remove any fat with a spoon.
- Add the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste and plain flour. Stir well.
- Roughly chop and stir in all the fresh veg apart from the potatoes (carrots, onion, garlic, celery) along with the rosemary and Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste.
- Reduce the heat and gently fry together for about 10 mins.
- Add the canned tomatoes, stock and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer (with lid slightly ajar) for about an hour (or longer if possible), stirring occasionally to prevent from catching at bottom.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mashed potato for the top. You've got a couple of options here: either chop the potatoes into evenly sized chunks and boil in salted water until tender, or bake whole potatoes until tender and remove from skins.
- Add milk, butter, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo, salt & pepper and mash (make sure you get all lumps out).
- Preheat your oven to about 390F.
- Assemble the pie with the lamb mix underneath the mash potato topping. Add a few knobs of butter on top and put in the oven for about 25 mins. If you want the top really crispy, pop it under the grill afterwards (don’t let it burn!!).
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
Have you tried this Mexican Shepherds Pie recipe? If so please let us know how you got on.