Chilli Bunny Chow
Bunny Chow, a South African Fast Food Classic, Is Normally A Curry Served Inside A Hollowed Out Loaf, But We Think Chilli Con Carne Is Perfect For It Too. Whether You Eat Your Bowl As You Go Along, Or At The End Is Completely Up To You.
Either Way, You Get To Eat Your Chilli-Soaked Bowl.
If this fancy this Mexican/India mash up you should also check out our Mexican Tandoori Chicken!
Chilli Bunny Chow Recipe
- For The Chilli Con Carne:
- 1lb 2oz Minced beef
- 2 Medium onions
- ⅔ Garlic cloves
- 1 Stick celery
- 2 Red peppers
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 14oz Kidney beans (tinned)
- 2 x 14oz Chopped tomatoes (tinned)
- Olive oil
- Small bunch cilantro
- Start with the chilli. Finely chop all the fresh veg (onion, garlic, celery, peppers) and gently fry in 2 lugs of olive oil for 8-10 mins or until nice and soft in a large casserole dish.
- Throw in the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, cumin and cinnamon.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans and finely chopped coriander stalks.
- Fry the minced beef with a lug of olive oil in another frying pan to brown (this will add flavour to the meat) then add to the other ingredients and mix well.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Put a lid on it, leaving a small gap and cook on a low heat for about an hour (longer if you have time).
- Meanwhile, prepare your bread bowls. Take your small loaves of bread and cut a lid off. Keep this as it will be handy to keep the dish warm when it comes time to serving.
- Hollow out the bottom of the loaf (keep the bread and freeze for breadcrumbs). This is your chilli bowl.
- Once you're happy with the consistency of the chilli, season and warm your bread bowls in the oven.
- Spoon the chilli into the bread bowls and sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves and some grated cheddar cheese. Replace the lid and serve with some nice guacamole and sour cream.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
Check Out Our Article On “Nine Wicked Ways To Eat Chilli Con Carne” For More Ideas