Hasselback Chilli Chicken Parmigiana
Earlier this year, I was lucky enough to travel down to Australia to meet the crew at Simon Johnson. They are our amigos who import and sell Gran Luchito in Oz.
Visiting Melbourne, I was taken out for lunch for a Chicken Parmigiana which I gather is a bit of a local speciality. It wasn’t really a dish I’d tried before and I have to say it was beyond delicious. I promised my hosts, Gareth and Katrina, that on my return I would give this mighty dish a Gran Luchito makeover.
To make it extra special we decided to combine a Chicken Parmigiana recipe with a Hasselback Chicken recipe.
The result, Gran Luchito Hasselback Chilli Chicken Parmigiana. A bit of a mouthful to say, but a recipe I promise will give you oodles of pleasure.
The Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste in the tomato sauce gives a beautiful smoky spice that works wonders with this dish.
This is one of our favourite recipes for the whole family.
Mix fried breadcrumbs with parmesan and parsley
Stir Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste into fried onion & garlic
Add chopped tomato, tomato puree, sugar and waterBlitz in a food processorSlice into chicken breasts but don’t go all the way throughSpread over layer of tomato sauce then add chorizo & mozzarella into cuts then grillAdd remaining tomato sauce and top with breadcrumbsBake until golden
Hasselback Chilli Chicken Parmigiana Recipe
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 3½ oz Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Handful fresh parsley
- 14oz Can of chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp Tomato puree
- 2fl oz Water
- 1tsp Sugar
- 5oz Breadcrumbs (we used panic breadcrumbs)
- 4 Free-range chicken breasts
- 1 Mozzarella ball
- 3½ oz Chorizo slices (best to buy the pre-sliced stuff as it's nice and thin)
- Add about 3tbsp of olive oil to a frying pan and add breadcrumbs. Fry, stirring regularly, until golden.
- Allow to cool before adding parmesan and chopped parsley.
- In a clean frying pan over a low/medium heat, add 1tbsp olive oil. Add chopped onion and fry, stirring regularly, until nice and soft (about 10mins).
- Once soft, add chopped garlic, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and water.
- Stir and cook for at least 1 hour. It should be thick and rich by the end (if it gets too thick add a little water). Taste and season with salt & pepper.
- Pre-heat broiler.
- Meanwhile, prepare chicken breasts. Make incisions approx. 3cm apart cutting almost all the way through to the other side. Place in an oven-proof dish side by side.
- Once tomato sauce is ready, blitz in a food processor to make a smooth sauce.
- Spoon about half of the sauce over the chicken, making sure to get it into the cuts.
- Slice mozzarella ball into half centimetre slices and half each slice. Add one half to each incision followed by half a slice of chorizo. Repeat this until each incision has a piece of each inside (use left-over to fill bigger cuts even more).
- Place under the grill until chorizo starts to crisp up and mozzarella melts.
- Remove from broil and turn on oven to 400F.
- Spoon over remaining sauce and spread over. Top with breadcrumbs and a lug of olive oil.
- Place in oven and cook for about 25 mins or until chicken is cooked (make a cut into the thickest breast in it thickest point; remove when it's still a little pink in the centre).
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes out of the oven. The chicken will continue to cook and finish off. (Check before serving)
- And there you have it, hasselback chilli chicken parmigiana.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
And there you have it, Hasselback Chilli Chicken Parmigiana
Have you tried this Hasselback Chilli Chicken Parmigiana Recipe? If so please let us know how you got on.