Uses Chipotle Ketchup
Vegan Pulled Pork & Slaw
If you can get hold of it, using jackfruit in place of pork to make vegan pulled pork is well worth a try, even if you’re not vegan! The texture is slightly different, but the big smoky flavour will always be there using Gran Luchito. This recipe uses our Chipotle Paste and Chipotle Ketchup, as well as a little of our mayo in the awesome coleslaw, which makes that part non-vegan. You can pick up cans of young jackfruit in some supermarkets, Asian shops and online.
Even if you’re a fully signed up carnivore you should definitely try our vegan recipes, they’re both super tasty and delicious. Our favourite recipes are this Vegan Pie and our now famous Vegan Chilli Con Carne.
2 hours 30 mins
How to make it
- Start by making the jackfruit ‘pulled pork’.
- Get a pan onto a low/medium heat and add the olive oil along with the diced onion. Fry gently until onion is nicely softened (about 10mins). Add the garlic and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Add the drained jackfruit and mix well.
- Add Chipotle Paste, mustard powder, thyme, soy sauce, cider vinegar, sugar, stock and pepper.
- Stir, put a lid on it and cook for an hour or so.
- When done (the liquid should be completely absorbed), mash the jackfruit (use a potato masher or a couple of forks) until it is completely shredded.
- Meanwhile, make the bbq sauce. In a pan, fry the onion for 10mins. Add chopped garlic and thyme and stir well. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add sugar and cook for a couple of minutes before adding red wine vinegar, soy sauce, rum, Gran Luchito Chipotle Ketchup and water. Cook on a low/medium heat until it thickens up and gets sticky. About 15mins.
- Adjust seasoning and combine with the pulled jackfruit. Mix well.
- Make coleslaw by combining Chipotle Mayo, vinegar, olive oil, sugar and lemon juice. Whisk well.
- Toast the fennel seeds in a dry pan (don’t burn them).
- Use a Japanese mandolin or grater to finely shred the cabbage, fennel and onion. Combine with liquid mix along with roughly chopped herbs, edamame beans and fennel seeds. Mix well, adjust seasoning and leave for 15/20 mins before you serve.
- To serve, toast some buns (we used brioche) and pile high with the bbq pulled jackfruit and top with coleslaw.
Have you tried these recipes?
Uses Chipotle Mayo