Mexican, Twice Cooked Sticky Pork Belly
Twice Cooked Sticky Pork Belly
This recipe is a must try.
We really enjoyed making this in the test kitchen. First, the pork belly is cooked low and slow until beautifully tender, then it is crisped up in the wok with our Chipotle Honey. It’s also very satisfying to use the delicious stock left over from cooking the pork to make the accompanying rice super-tasty.
Serve it with rice cooked in the slow cooker stock and you’ve got yourself an awesome meal.
If you like the sound of this, you should also check out our Pork Belly Porchetta.
2 hours 30 mins
Fry in hot wok until very crispy
Mix Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Honey with ginger, soy sauce, salt & pepper
Coat crispy pork with glaze
Serve with rice sesame seeds and spring onion
How to make it
To Slow Cook The Pork
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot, add the chunks of pork belly and fry over a medium-high heat until browned all over.
- Transfer the seared pork to the slow cooker and add the ginger, garlic, sugar, white wine vinegar, stock and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix and cook as low as possible for 2–3 hours, or until the pork belly is very tender (try a bit). If you don’t have a slow cooker, put the ingredients in a casserole dish with a tightly fitting lid and cook in the oven at 160°C (325°F, Gas 3).
- Remove pork belly pieces.
To Make The Glaze
- Heat the oil in a wok until very hot.
- Add the pork pieces and leave to crisp up (it will spit a lot, so use a shield or a lid). Once crispy, carefully flip them over so they are crispy all over. Lower the heat to medium.
- In a bowl, mix the chipotle chilli honey, soy sauce and ginger, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mixture to the pork and cook for 5–10 minutes until it all goes sticky.
- While the pork is cooking in the glaze, put the rice in a pan with the reserved stock, top up with water, if necessary, and boil for about 8 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Sprinkle the pork with the toasted sesame seeds and spring onions and serve with the rice.
Calling all Mexican lovers!
Share your stories with #granluchito
sign up for free cookbook
Subscribe now for a free copy of the Gran Luchito e-cookbook filled with delicious, authentic Mexican recipes and join our mailing list for all the latest recipes, news and blog updates.